/ Bike Bags for Travel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wallacerocks - on 15 Oct 2012
Hello,

I was after some advice about Bike Bags. I need one for 3 weeks in Nov to get my road bike "safely" to the USA.

Does anyone have experience in such things, or advice, makes models, padding etc.

Thanks
Chris
mkean - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to wallacerocks:
Where abouts are you? I've got an On-one wheeled bag in need of a new home.

Looks like this:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p31/twonks_photos/bag-1.jpg
http://www.findyourflow.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/howtopackyourbike02.jpg
robal - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to wallacerocks: hello, I used a bike pod to take my bike to Canada. it worked a treat no damage, who are you flying with? are you taking an additional bag?

the reason I ask is because I flew with transat, came in under the 23kg limit with bike, bag and clothes for 2 weeks (wifes family lives there and I have a stash of clothes there), they asked me if there was a bike in my bag, I said yes and so they wanted to charge me for bringing a bike on board, I was a little annoyed, I spoke with the manager on the day that said if I had denied that there was a bike in the bag, the bike pod leaves nothing to the imagination as to what's in it, then they would have asked me to open it. however I went to town on shopping for climbing bits clothes etc and then on the way back checked my bike plus my suitcase, it cost me £20 each way.

annoying but check with the airline so you know where you stand.

the manager acted like a complete tool and treated me like a child, I appreciate he probably has to deal with irate and annoyed people all the time but I have since switched to flying air canada, we go to canada on a regular basis and do want to be treated badly!
wallacerocks - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to mkean: Hi, I'm based in the Sheffield area, where are you?
Lord of Starkness - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to robal:

£20 each way with Air Transat to Canada sounds good value compared to rates charged on 'low cost' airlines in Europe!

Thinking of taking my carbon steed next summer.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Wide_Mouth_Frog - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to robal:
>
> the manager acted like a complete tool and treated me like a child, I appreciate he probably has to deal with irate and annoyed people all the time but I have since switched to flying air canada, we go to canada on a regular basis and do want to be treated badly!

You do?? Whatever you're into mate...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.