UKC

Pop downs on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Ford 15 Oct 2012
Why is there an annoying little pop down which drops across some of the information when using Forums and Logbooks.....not been there long, but a bloody nuisance.

Pete
In reply to Pete Ford:

We have made no changes to the menus on the site for over a year. You'll have to be more specific about what the problem is.

Please could you use this form to report it - http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/bug.html

Include as much details as possible.

Thanks

Alan
 Mark Kemball 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Pete Ford: I have the same problem (have had it for some time), the search window (top right next to the UKC logo) drops down to about double the size, obscuring some of the tabs etc. This only happens some of the time and I cannot work out any rule for when!
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Still don't understand. Top right? There is a Search box but no UKC logo as far as I can see.

Which tabs is it obscuring?

We don't see the same thing otherwise we would do something about it so you have to describe it in much more detail.

Also, please use the report fault form since this grabs your Operating System and Browser Version details which, again, is crucial information.

Alan

marsbar 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Pete Ford: Maybe if you print screen it might help identify the problem?
 Mark Kemball 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: Next time it happens, I'll photograph the screen and send it to you. (Using report fom if that's possible.)
 Sl@te Head 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: I've had the same problem for a while...thought it was just me.
 Mark Kemball 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Pete Ford: Form filled in and example photo of screen emailed to Alan. Hope that helps.

Thanks Mark. I have no idea what that is. It appears to be something in the style of Google but it is nothing that we have implemented.

I have forwarded it to Nick and Paul for them to look at.

Alan
In reply to all:

Our initial investigation suspects that this is an adware infection on your computers.

Does it appear on sites other than UKC?

Does it appear if you use a browser other than Explorer 9?

Alan
 Mark Kemball 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: I've nt noticed it on sites other than UKC and I only use Explorer.
 cuppatea 16 Oct 2012
In reply to Pete Ford:

Without wishing to open up a mahoosive can of worms...how old is the forum software?
 MJ 16 Oct 2012
In reply to cuppatea:

Without wishing to open up a mahoosive can of worms...how old is the forum software?

Don't know and does it really matter?
In my experience, UKC has been amazingly stable and glich free.
OP Pete Ford 16 Oct 2012
In reply to Pete Ford: Its not a insuperable problem, just a pain. Thanks to others for helping out by sending in info to Alan et al at UKC, I'm useless at technical stuff. I agree that UKC has performed glitch free for all the years I have been using it and it's only a small niggle.

Pete
 cuppatea 16 Oct 2012
In reply to MJ:

I agree re stability and lack of glitch

Maybe some of us have been spoilt by other forums and their extra features.
In reply to Pete Ford and others:

We are now pretty sure that this problem is caused by a Malware infection on your computers which is injecting google ads into your web pages. You will need to check out some anti-malware programs in order to remove the problem, or use a browser other than Explorer 9.

Unfortunately it is nothing UKC can do anything about since the problem is on your PC and not in our code.

Alan
In reply to Pete Ford:

Hi guys, from the screen shot that Mark sent us I can confirm there's nothing in the code running on UKC that would generate the text shown on his page.

If you're running a legal copy of Windows then I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials - http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx
OP Pete Ford 16 Oct 2012
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH: Paul, again thanks for looking into this problem, however, I do run Microsoft SE, and have done for over a year,,,maybe its just my computer.

Pete
 Mark Kemball 16 Oct 2012
In reply to Pete Ford: Well, I've binned my previous antivirus software (bullguard), Downloaded MSE, done a complete scan of the system which eliminated a few nasties that shouldn't have been there, but the popdown is still there! Oh well, it's not too terrible - I can work round it.
In reply to Mark Kemball: I'd seriously consider trying some different adware removal options. It might appear to merely add some slightly annoying adverts, but really it could be doing almost anything in the background. For example recording all your keypresses when you login to email, banking sites, etc
 Mark Kemball 17 Oct 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: I'm not much of a techy, what would you recommend?
 jonnie3430 17 Oct 2012

Have you tried to see if the problem persists if you use firefox of chrome?
 Gazlynn 17 Oct 2012

Try changing your web browser from internet explorer to firefox or to google chrome just to check if the pop downs are still occurring. If they are not appearing on the new web browser it will probably be an extension that you have inadvertently installed on your old browser and then it's a case of finding which extension is the culprit!!

hope this helps and good luck

Gaz
 Mark Kemball 17 Oct 2012
In reply to Gazlynn: Thanks. It does not seem to occur in Firefox, so how do I go about looking for the culprit?
 Gazlynn 17 Oct 2012

Stick with firefox

I personally don't use IE If it's IE then i think it's tools and then manage add ons.

Start by disabling the add ons and then check if the pop ups are still occurring. Then start enabling them one by one until the pop ups start again and disable that add on.

Does that make sense?

cheers

Gaz

Mark Kemball 17 Oct 2012
In reply to Mark Kemball: Now have it occuring in Firefox - when I opened UKC in firefox initially, the box to the right of the UKC logo was blank. As I hadn't used firefox for some time, there was a tag - install missing plug-ins so I did. I installed Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.287 the box to the right of the logo now has "searches related to ukclimbing.com..." and now drops down to obscure some of the information when I go to "moderate crags".

Advice please?!
 Gazlynn 17 Oct 2012

sent you a mail

cheers

Gaz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...