UKC

Bicep pain - a question for the injury gurus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbingpixie 16 Oct 2012
I've started getting some bicep pain recently when climbing and was hoping for a bit of advice from the injury gurus on here. A couple of weeks ago a was at the bouldering wall and got a dull ache deep in my left bicep, painful enough to make putting the handbrake on in the car quite hard work for a couple of days. I assumed I'd pulled a muscle or something and gave myself a week off indoor bouldering, which seemed to make it go away.

Unfortunately it started up aching again on Sunday at Hen Cloud and then last night I was at Leeds Wall bouldering and the dull ache developed again but it got more and more painful. It also made my entire arm feel weak and spread up to my shoulder. I stopped climbing and a couple of hours later the pain had subsided, though today it still feels a bit niggly and I've got some tenderness around the back of my shoulder. I'm going to book an appointment to see a physio at some point soon but in the meantime thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone had experienced anything similar or had any thoughts on what it could be?
OP climbingpixie 16 Oct 2012
In reply to climbingpixie:

Anyone?

Going to see the physio tomorrow anyway but any advice would be appreciated.
 drsdave 16 Oct 2012
rest rest rest otherwise you'll be forever in a pain cycle and as your're now experiencing, exaserbating other muscle groups as you're compensating with those ones. Biceps are common injury so dont worry you'll be raight after rest.
soft tissue damage can take 12 weeks to sort properly. If you're not sensitive to ibroprofen and paracetamol, take these for a few days and rest, eat and sleep.
good luck
 jules699 16 Oct 2012
In reply to climbingpixie: Had this too. Sorry to say same - REST!! It'll get better in a coupla weeks. Good luck.
 AJM 17 Oct 2012

I put a fuller description of a similar-sounding thing (the bicep ache only) on UKB a while ago and got recommended eccentric hammer curls which seemed to do the trick quite nicely. Have a look at the thread (I use the same username so it should be easy to find) and see how your symptoms match with it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...