UKC

Winter training for a buggered knee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 llamaglama 02 Nov 2012
Im looking for some advice on how to strengthen my knee and also improve ny stamina for the walk into winter climbs. I am limited to gym based exercise during the week but dont know where to start. My knee was dislocated and was not set back properly a few years ago so upward momentum is often lost as a sideways motion or it can lock in a ostrich like position (ie. Bends backwards). I can wear a knee brace for this but it presses on a small chip in my patella which is sharp and therefore not ideal.
 kevin stephens 02 Nov 2012
In reply to llamaglama: Sorry if stating the obvious but do you use walking poles?
OP llamaglama 02 Nov 2012
In reply to llamaglama:

actually i dont. Was looking at getting some but the choice seemed huge for what i imagine the possible differences in them could be
 kevin stephens 02 Nov 2012
In reply to llamaglama:

I'd push the boat out and get telescopic ski touring poles. I think you'll be amazed at the difference they make
 Sharp 02 Nov 2012
In reply to llamaglama: There are plenty of good exercises out there to strengthen up the muscles surrounding your knee but from the sounds of your knee I'd be wary about doing anything too strenuous in case you damage it further. The classics (Squats, lunges, split sqats etc.) put a fair bit of strain on the knee joint.

Search through youtube or look on www.strengthrunning.com for any exercises that don't put any brutal pressure on your knee. Things like bridge, clam, heel dips/raises, leg raise etc.

Sounds like you have quite a specific problem, a trip to the physio might prevent either further injury or hours wasted doing exercises which don't solve it.
 John Burns 05 Nov 2012
In reply to llamaglama: www.strengthrunning.com visited this site but couldn't find knee exersises
 Sharp 06 Nov 2012
In reply to John Burns: There aren't really any specific "knee exercises" that you can do, you can't strengthen your knee! There are a few posts on that site regarding functional strength for running, you'll find similar on youtube. The idea is to strengthen the muscles surrounding the joint, which is as good a place to start as any if you have knee trouble. That and stretching/rolling.
 Michael Gordon 10 Nov 2012
In reply to llamaglama:
> (In reply to llamaglama)
>
> actually i dont. Was looking at getting some but the choice seemed huge for what i imagine the possible differences in them could be

Exactly. You'll find a lot more difference between using them and not using them than between which ones are available. That said, I like ones with a shock-reducing capacity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...