UKC

Fell Running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
joedowell 04 Nov 2012
I am looking into starting fell running with a veiw to completing the yorkshire three peaks challenge, then if successful run the national three peaks challenege.

Would just like some advice from fell runners of which shoes are best to go for?
 Roberttaylor 04 Nov 2012
In reply to joedowell: Walsh, Inov-8, Salomon are the most common suspects. For stuff on harder ground/trails people seem to prefer salomons or the 'trail' Inov-8s, for 'pure' fell terrain (steep bog, mud) the Walshes and 'fell' Inov-8s seem best.

I like Inov-8s.

R
 ablackett 04 Nov 2012
In reply to joedowell: It's a bloody long way to run the national 3 peaks challenge. Most people cheat by driving 2 huge sections of it.

Yorkshire 3 peaks is mostly on hard path/flag stones so look at inov8 trail shoe if you are used to something with a bit of cushioning. If you buy Walshes buy a size bigger than you would normally.
In reply to ablackett:
> (In reply to joedowell) If you buy Walshes buy a size bigger than you would normally.

or go try some one at your local stockist
jjv 05 Nov 2012
In reply to joedowell: http://www.facewest.co.uk/La-Sportiva-Raptor.html

I think these are very good. I haven't used any of the mentioned ones so can't compare but I've used Salomon Crossmax, which are ok for fairly "smooth" terrain but not enough grip for muddy stuff or loose rocks. The North Face have some decent trail shoes and also Mizuno, but personally, the Raptor for the time being.
 Banned User 77 05 Nov 2012
In reply to joedowell: eh?

Forget the 3 peaks (national) as running unless via boats.. for both a trail/road shoe is fine unless weather is bad.
In reply to joedowell:

If it's dry then a road shoe is good enough for the Yorkshire 3 peaks otherwise a trail shoe is best. There's very little of the route that isn't on roads/rough tracks or stone flags.

National 3 peaks - don't think many run it at all but there's about 450 miles of road so a good set of road shoes is probably a good idea.

ALC
 robthered 05 Nov 2012
In reply to joedowell:

Just to chip in with some obvious advice but for me its been a case of what works/fits your feet - and you can't always tell in the shop.

I had a pair on Inov8 x-talon's and loved them. Lots of talk about the studs wearing down quick but seem ok if you stick to what they're meant for. Anyway, got that pair cheapish (£60) and couldn't face paying £90 but went Walshes instead. They're good, and I can see why people like them but they just don't hold my ankle as well (especially noticable when descending).

Got another pair of x-talons now; first time I've ever bought a second pair of any sort of footwear and have fallen in love all over again. Won a trail race (a soft one, to be fair...) in them straight out the box (literally).
 steveriley 05 Nov 2012
NB101 are a bargain at £40-£50, at a time when some shoes are pushing 100 quid. Nice light crossover shoe, good enough for some light fell use.
 edunn 05 Nov 2012
In reply to robthered:
> (In reply to joedowell)
>
> > I had a pair on Inov8 x-talon's and loved them. Lots of talk about the studs wearing down quick but seem ok if you stick to what they're meant for.

Second this. Am on my second pair now and love them.
 Banned User 77 06 Nov 2012
In reply to robthered:
> (In reply to joedowell)
>
> Just to chip in with some obvious advice but for me its been a case of what works/fits your feet - and you can't always tell in the shop.
>
> I had a pair on Inov8 x-talon's and loved them. Lots of talk about the studs wearing down quick but seem ok if you stick to what they're meant for.

I love X talons.. but they aren't 3 peaks shoe for me.. either yorkshire or national.. I did a 26 mile traily mountain marathon in them and my soles were smashed up by the end.. just no support..
 robthered 07 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

Fair enough, I'm not qualified to give specific advice for the three peaks (of any variety).

I ran about 25 miles on mostly concrete path (Taff Trail - Merthyr to Cardiff)in my old pair. The studs had worn down and they were pretty much knackered and, yeah, that hurt a bit...
ruttingstag 07 Nov 2012
In reply to joedowell: fell and trail running shoes are a bit like bikes. i.e its horses for courses. depends on what surface your running on and how wet it is. some courses may have a variety of surfaces. indeed there is plenty of tarmac on the yorks three peaks. for the yorks three peaks i like a good cushioned trail shoe such as mizuno wave ascender if its wet and a road shoe if its dry. i wouldn't want to do that course in an out and out fell shoe. a boggy course would see me using a studded mudclaw. so it helps so have a few different types if you can afford it.
 Peter Holder 07 Nov 2012
In reply to robthered: I agree with Rob . Try loads of pairs on to see what is comfortable for you. Some shoes have a differential between the heel and toes. (ie the heel is slightly raised) These encourage forefoot running which can strain your calf muscles if you don't have a huge amount off fell running experience.

Pete
 Pete Pozman 07 Nov 2012
In reply to james.peter: Go on the FRA website and find fixtures. If you haven't fell run before you won't be able to run the Three Peaks Race this year but you will be able to gain the experience necessary to enter in 2014.
There are loads of great races to have a go at in the meantime including the Lakeland Classics and many long race on all the hills of Great Britain. Please don't think of the Great Britain "3 Peaks Challenge" as a fell running thing; it's a driving challenge and a waste of time and a bl**dy nuisance to locals in Wasdale and Borrowdale.
Aim at the Paps of Jura, The Fellsman, The Ennerdale Horseshoe if you want to be a proper fellrunner.
IDP 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Pete Pozman:
I'd agree with that. Road shoe for Y3P's but stay away from Nat 3Peaks its a just a rubble walk past 1000's of charity walkers burning fuel and seeing nothing but plastic bottles and banana skins.
Stick to some of the classics or get down to the peak and tick some good narly races.

To IainR...To to see you don't frequent only one forum. see you on the hill soon buddy.
 Banned User 77 13 Nov 2012
In reply to IDP: I should make tomorrow warts race.. barring Glossop traffic issues....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...