UKC

New Climbing Literature

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 11 Nov 2012
I like to provide a short list of books to my folks for Christmas present ideas, climbing literature is usually pretty dominant in this list.

Gordon's Fiva is already on the list, but I am looking for a few suggestions of other. I am mainly interested in trad, winter and alpinism, but if something is really good that doesn't quite fit that, please feel free to try and convince me to read it.

Also anything that is particularly good when it comes to running and road cycling.
Steph-in-the-West 11 Nov 2012
In reply to The New NickB:

Where the Mountain casts its Shadow - Maria Coffey - an account of the effects of those left behind by tragedy in the mountains, harrowing but very readable

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer - and account of the tragedy on Everest 1996

Touching the Void - Joe Simpson (if you haven't got it already!!!)

The White Spider - Heinrich Harrer - a history of the ascents of the North Face of the Eiger

OP The New NickB 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Steph-in-the-West:

Thanks, but I have read all of those. Thinking more of stuff that has been published this year.
 Tall Clare 11 Nov 2012

Have you read Andy Kirkpatrick's 'Cold Climbs' and the freshly-reissued 'Deep Play' by Paul Pritchard? Neither is *quite* this year.
 Brass Nipples 11 Nov 2012

David Millar - racing through the dark. About 80% thought it at moment. Very good read and changed my opinion of him.
OP The New NickB 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have read Deep Play, do you mean Cold Wars? In which case I have read it.
 Tall Clare 11 Nov 2012

Yes, sorry, got distracted. D'oh.

OP The New NickB 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thanks for all suggestions so far, more very welcome.
 tony 12 Nov 2012

Wade Davis's 'Into the Silence' is outstanding. It's about the three 1920s Everest expeditions, seen in the context of WW1. Very well researched, and very well written. The chapters about WW1 are very moving. If you're interested in the early history of Everest expeditions, it's essential.
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> Wade Davis's 'Into the Silence' is outstanding. It's about the three 1920s Everest expeditions, seen in the context of WW1. Very well researched, and very well written. The chapters about WW1 are very moving. If you're interested in the early history of Everest expeditions, it's essential.

It's now (this evening) a very worthy winner of the Samuel Johnson Prize.

OP The New NickB 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to tony)
> [...]
>
> It's now (this evening) a very worthy winner of the Samuel Johnson Prize.

Twitter has just told me this as well. I will put it on the list. Am I right in thinking you are up against it in the BT?
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
> [...]
>
> Twitter has just told me this as well. I will put it on the list. Am I right in thinking you are up against it in the BT?

Indeed I am. Still, I'm going to try and enjoy Friday whatever happens.

ben b 13 Nov 2012
In reply to The New NickB: Nick Bullock's book was worth reading (more so IMHO than Simon Yates' most recent, which was interesting - for the terrain more than anything - but not outstanding). Fiva best of the year by a long margin for me (good luck, Gordon!)

Joe's newest novel was interesting and a bit harrowing at times.

Otherwise this year hasn't been a great year for mountain literature (at least not that I have read...), and it's been good to catch upon some older stuff (Steve House, Mark Twight come to mind). I also quite enjoyed Laurence Fearnley's "The Hut Builder" but mostly because I know the area and she's a local author. If you've been to NZ it would be a good choice (along with Aart Vervoorn's Mountain Solitudes).

hth

b
 alexm198 13 Nov 2012
In reply to The New NickB: What about Beyond the Mountain - Steve House? I haven't read it yet but it's definitely secured a place on my Christmas list...
 Only a hill 13 Nov 2012
Unfortunately my own book won't be out in paperback by Christmas otherwise I would have suggested that

Fiva should definitely top the list. How about Echoes by Nick Bullock? A really fascinating book. I wrote a review for my blog, I'd dig it out for you if I wasn't on my phone waiting at a freezing cold bus stop...
 Yanis Nayu 13 Nov 2012
In reply to The New NickB: I've just bought Fiva - looking forward to it!
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

If you bought Fiva on Amazon, it must have been one of the last copies, because it's now sold out. There will be copies at Kendal this weekend, and possibly some stock left over. It's being reprinted on Monday and should be generally available again c. 28 Nov. One place where there are still many copies in stock (c.15) is Derby Waterstones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...