UKC

Swirl Crag (Lakes) in the winter??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fiend 13 Nov 2012
Had a quick look through the new Eastern Lakes guide for winter sun-trap options, and Swirl Crag stood out - short SW-facing single pitch with 15 mins approach. Is this accurate? The select guide has it as a 40min approach which would be less suitable. Would it be a good winter crag, and is it free from seepage etc? Any other suggestions received.
In reply to Fiend:

40 mins is closer to the mark. Varying susceptability to seepage, I think some of the grooves would stay damp. It's tucked under Helvellyn so not going to get any sun until at least midday.

Suntraps would include: Black Crag on Pike o' Blisco but could be a bit chilly if there's any breeze. Buckbarrow, Wasdale is quick drying and the main crag is only ten minutes up the fell side.

ALC
In reply to Fiend:
> Would it be a good winter crag, and is it free from seepage etc?

Very much a Summer evening crag, needs to be bone dry for the routes. It does get seepage, quite bad at the moment.
OP Fiend 13 Nov 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Thanks. Is it down as 15 mins walk to Lower Swirl and 10 mins to Upper in the new Eastern Lakes guide due to a different parking area? I figured it wouldn't get a lot of sun but was hoping the SW-aspect would mean the rock was in generally decent nick. I've done all I can at Black Crag.
In reply to Fiend:

No, same parking, I think it means 15 mins to Lower and a further 10 to Upper, though they are pretty much on the same level.

ALC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...