UKC

Wild camping in Dartmoor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SARS 18 Nov 2012
I'm contemplating a quick mid-winter trip to Dartmoor and was wondering what are good locations for combining wild camping and climbing? I understand wild camping is acceptable in a large part of the park but not, it seems, where a lot of the rock climbing is.

All thoughts appreciated - including those who say this is a totally barmy plan.
 Mark Kemball 18 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS: Combshead tor - good bouldering, pleasent spots to camp on the way in (good spring near ruins about 1 mile from car park). Also Luckey Tor - beautiful flat ground next to the River Dart - I've not camped there but it looks good.
In reply to SARS:

Not sure about permission to camp but I know people who do at Luckey tor: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1077
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Beat me too it!
OP SARS 18 Nov 2012
Thanks for that both - will check those spots out.
 Iain Peters 19 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS:

Not barmy at all! Basically on any cpmmon/open access land, out of sight of houses and 100 metres from a road, 2 nights at any one site.
Dartmoor NPA has the info:
http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/43910/vi-camping...

Often seen a tent or two down below Bonehill and also near the Hay Tor quarries.

If you want real wild then trek out to Fur Tor. Some good but unrecorded bouldering in a very remote and exposed setting
 Tom Last 19 Nov 2012
 Motown 19 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS: Camped at Luckey Tor several times: beautiful, isolated, sheltered and offering some good climbing (and swimming in a warmer season).

If you park at Hound Tor, then follow a track through an open area used for horseriding and head for Holwell Tor you will find a really picturesque flat area alongside a stream. Perfect spot to set up camp and close enough to Hound Tor, Holwell Tor and Smallacombe Rocks.

You could set up camp by Hay Tor Lowman reasomably underdisturbed - I guess the thing to do is get packed up not too lomng after first light, then there would be no reason to complain.

Motown 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Will Cat: "underdisturbed"? - undisturbed.
 Sean Kelly 19 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS: Up around Irishman's Wall area would be nice and away from it all, well except the army that is who have ranges nearby. That's perhaps why it's quiet...?
OP SARS 19 Nov 2012
Thanks all, lots of good tips. Looking forward to it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...