UKC

Ring of Steall in Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alancash100 28 Nov 2012
Anyone done it?

Thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Al
 CurlyStevo 28 Nov 2012
In reply to alancash100:
it's pretty long and especially knackering if wading through deep snow, also there is quite a bit of height gain. Leave enough time.

Mostly it is a walk though, also avoid heading down by steall falls, I accidentally descended that way (we left out the last peak as started after midday after driving over for the weekend) we were pretty lucky to find a viable route down by the falls and even then it was quite dodgey.
 Nath 28 Nov 2012
In reply to alancash100: Did it quite a few years back, very long day for me and we had pretty near perfect conditions.

The ridge is quite exposed, didn't rope up as there was no wind however would of used one if conditions/weather was more "Scottish".

Would say it was probably one of the best winter days i ever had anywhere - certainly one of the best in the UK.

From memory it took us about 9 hours but we were taking our time and just taking in the views.
 Almorr 28 Nov 2012
Went round this past Saturday, no problems to note.
Suggest an early start as it was deceptively slow in the powdery snow.

What would you like to know about it?
 drunken monkey 28 Nov 2012
In reply to alancash100: Done it in lean, iron hard conditions. Its quite narrow and exposed in places.

Think I have got a picture on my profile.

Grand day out. I dont recommend your mate falling in the dark however.
 Mark Bull 28 Nov 2012
In reply to alancash100:

It's a great day out.

It's hard work and time consuming under powder. Going clockwise means you can bail down the Coire a'Mhasgain path if required. If you need to escape sooner, finding the easiest route down the hillside W of Steall Falls is not trivial!

Difficulties are modest and fairly short lived.

Navigation is fairly straightforward, though there may be numerous cornice hazards.

Crossing the burn below Steall Falls can be awkward if it is in full spate.

The wire bridge at Steall is exciting for anyone under 5ft tall.

The normal approach to An Gearranach is not guaranteed safe from avalanche risk: it may be better to keep a bit further E instead.

A slightly shorter and less committing alternative is to do the N ridge of Stob Ban follow by the Devil's Ridge.

CurlyStevo 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Mark Bull:
". If you need to escape sooner, finding the easiest route down the hillside W of Steall Falls is not trivial! "

Agreed fortunately I've followed deer trails successfully several times before and we managed to pick one up. There was a fair section of near vertical forest mind, luckily the ledges / trees were placed just where you needed them.
 Mark Bull 28 Nov 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I've only done it once: there was snow down to the bottom, so any trails were obscured. We had a rope, and ended up doing one short ab off a tree!
 CurlyStevo 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Mark Bull:
yeah we didn't have a rope!
 dan bulman 28 Nov 2012
super walk although it took us just under 10 hours. would be crap in poor conditions.
 Adam Russell 28 Nov 2012
In reply to alancash100:

Went round anti-clockwise yesterday, so there's a trail in atm.
OP alancash100 29 Nov 2012
Hi,

Thanks everyone for such positive advice - really appreciated;

thanks again,

Al
wcdave 29 Nov 2012
In reply to alancash100: Would echo those who suggest caution descending down by the falls. I did it in the dark once, and it was far more dangerous than anything I'd encountered on the ridge. Very scary descent.

Siward 29 Nov 2012
In reply to alancash100: This is worth a look:

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/ring-of-steall.asp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...