UKC

winter gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnrc 05 Dec 2012
Looking to get a new set of gloves for Scottish winter; probably/hopefully climbing grades 4-7 so want something with decent dexterity. Had mountain equipment guide and the ME cheaper version for climbing in the alps last season and was really disappointed in the quality,fit and warmth... shredded in 2 days and frostbite.
Just saw http://www.climbers-shop.com/10886401/products/rab_guide_glove.aspx for £39 which seemed cheap but also heard a lot of good things about punishers and baltoro. Big admirer of Buffalo so was going for their mitts as belay efforts.
Any comments would be mega helpful.

J
 cliff shasby 05 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc: i have these and paid £130 for them and would again
bargain at £60,had mine for 3 years and still going...

http://www.sportsdirect.com/outdoor-alpine-alibi-gloves-909015?src=google
 nufkin 05 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc:

Older version of the Punishers seem good, ie dexterous and hardy. Not enormously warm, but that's probably the inevitable trade off. Can't speak to the most recent version of them.

Some of last season's Rab gloves seemed a bit underwhelming for some reason, though I didn't actually use any. Just didn't feel as good on the hand as other BD or ME gloves. Maybe this year's bunch will be better?
 neuromancer 05 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc:

Skytec Argons?
OP johnrc 06 Dec 2012
In reply to cliff shasby: look good, i read andy kirkpatricks review and he said they were quite small made. I just fit ME XL so thinking they might be a bit tight. how'd you find em?
 Milesy 06 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to johnrc)
>
> Skytec Argons?

I tried these out last weekend and they performed really well. Only drawback was the short cuff but once my Patagonia R1 hoody arrives that won't be a problem.
 TeeBee 06 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc:

The Rab Icefall Gauntlet

http://rab.uk.com/products/new-this-season/new-gloves/icefall-gauntlet.html )

feels pretty good, better than the previous version, I think ( I agree with the comment about last year's Rab gloves not feeling quite right). The same price as the Punishers, but warmer.
I'm quite a big fan of the Punishers, though, and haven't really found anything else that feels as well shaped and fitted (aside from the £200 Arcteryx gloves - but they cost £200...), so I'd be another to recommend them.
 Milesy 06 Dec 2012
BTW. The Skytec Argon are the same glove as the Ninja ICE. Used by a few guides and reviewed here:

http://www.journeymantraveller.com/2011/08/classic-haute-route-pre-departur...

"Gloves
Ninja ICE HPT Canadian workers gloves - Ron Walker turned me on to these in February and they are great. Not easy to get onto cold, damp hands but once they're on they are excellent. Warm, flexible, durable and cheap. They're intended for cold-storage workers, fishermen, agricultural workers and construction workers, as well as outdoor winter use. They're bloody good. I can hold and axe, adjust toggles, put on crampons and manoeuvre zips - all without taking the glove off. For cold, wet hands that need no such dexterity - the marvellous and featherweight Buffalo mitt is without equal."

I paid £6 for my pair out a local hardware store.
 angry pirate 06 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc:
I love my mammoth xt gloves for climbing in. Not very warm but I tend to run hot climbing and switch to big old mists on belay. I've been good in them down to minus 10.
The grip is incredible and they are dexterous for placing gear etc.
More details here:
http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/marmot_xt_glove
OP johnrc 07 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc: thanks for the help. tried on punishers and they fit good- cant find alpine alibi or ninja ice in shops so just going for the fit i know works.
 cliff shasby 16 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc: they are better made than any glove ive ever had..
im sure you could buy some and return them if too small.
ice.solo 16 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc:

spend money to get the right glove and treat them well.

year after year i see people churn thru gloves and whinge and whine about how they do this and dont do that and all the excuses - and its always the gloves fault.
bad craftsman...

personally i climb about 40 days each winter and most years do a few weeks on exped each summer too. 50 days a year handling gear in the cold is pretty normal.
i am yet to retire a glove because it has failed (tho ive lost a few and have relegated a few pairs to be second gloves), and i usually rappel the routes and am out for multi-days where the gloves dont dry.
as it goes i tend towards BD and mammut gloves, with some rab in there too. all have got better with age just like boots.

the key is to try dozens on, be prepared to spend and TREAT THEM WELL: get a tube of nikwax or snoseal, go home, warm them with a dryer and melt wax into them. repeat. then after each trip give them a dose again.
make it part of the same process where you sharpen your tools, air out your sleeping bag, dry out your boots and sort out your slings.

as for specific gloves, im currently using BD ramblas. basically a copy or an arcteryx design and very nice - a lot of leather in them tho so they need the care they deserve.
 wazzalad20 16 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc:
just ordered a pair of these
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/outdoor-revolution-gloves-mens-907013?src=googl...

Seem like a decent glove for the money! Will let you know how i get on with them
 iksander 17 Dec 2012
In reply to johnrc:
> (In reply to cliff shasby) look good, i read andy kirkpatricks review and he said they were quite small made. I just fit ME XL so thinking they might be a bit tight. how'd you find em?

I take an XL in ME gloves and have the Alpine Alibis in Large - fit spot on. The "non Alpine" Alibis are are a different creature and come up small.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...