UKC

Glen Etive and Kinlochleven roads kept clear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 06 Dec 2012
This might not be the right place for this but anyway, we're planning on getting out for a walk this Saturday, possibly something down Glen Etive or the Mamores from Kinlochleven.

My mate that I'm going with will be driving, and he's a bit concerned about the road conditions down to the parking for Ben Starav and/or the road round to Kinlochleven from Glencoe. With the current clag it's hard to gauge the snow level from the webcams. Could any locals say whether these roads are regularly plowed and gritted, as he has a family engagement on Saturday night and can't be doing with getting towed out of a ditch!

Cheers
 Heike 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:
The road to Kinlochleven is probably being ploughed and gritted regularly, but I wouldn't bank on the Etive being fully cleared. Get yourself some winter tyres or snow chains!
 Andy Nisbet 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:

If it's of interest, I was in the Mamores yesterday, a lovely day but the snow was deep and the walking hard work. Took us twice as long to get to the crag as normal.
OP Taurig 06 Dec 2012
Any conditions info also appreciated, cheers. I was thinking Starav might be a good call as it's mainly on ridges so perhaps not as much snow and less avalanche risk of course. Saying that, if Heike is right we might not even get there!
 Heike 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:
Well, it might be fine, I am just saying that I wouldn't bank on it being cleared! Don't hold back on my account...You can check the general roadconditions on trafficscotland.org There are various webcams and one is near Glencoe/Rannoch Moor that will give you a good up-to-date insight.
 Neil Pratt 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:

Weather forecast for Saturday is looking a bit grim at the moment, especially for the West Highlands!
 Simon Caldwell 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:

IME the Glen Etive road is cleared regularly as far as Dalness (don't know if the council do this, or the estate). I'd imagine it's cleared farther down as there are houses there, but I've never been when there's enough snow that far down to be a problem.
 jonnie3430 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:

My car was stuck at the end of Glen Etive for a week a few years ago, it seemed they prioritised the A82 for clearing and gritting and they cleared the side roads when they had time. The locals didn't seem to mind in their 4x4's. Kingy webcam should give you a clue as to the condition of it.

J
OP Taurig 06 Dec 2012
Jonnie that sounds grim! I think we'll turn back and have a back-up plan if it's looking that bad. Kingshouse webcam shows snow to road level, but not surprising really as it's lying in the Central Belt. Guess we'll just have to try it and find out.

Yeah the forecast went from looking quite good for the weekend to pretty minging. IME though, MWIS can be a bit OTT with its forecasting, especially with regards to wind speed. Metoffice doesn't seem to think it'll be that bad.
 IanMcC 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:
If heading for Ben Starav's north ridge, at the fenced enclosure at Coiletir farm, turn back downhill after passing the enclosed area to pick up the track to the bridge. This will save you getting very muddy feet if unfrozen or a tricky river crossing if it's hard frost.
 IanMcC 06 Dec 2012
In reply to IanMcC:
PS it's mild and mingin in central Scotland right now.
aultguish 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:
And just remember ladies and gents, just because you can get down these little single track estate roads and the like in the morning, doesn't mean to say you'll get out at the end of the day.
My folks have lived in the hills for the last 15 years and have lost count of the amount of people they have put up for the night, dug out, towed etc.
Very, very common and it gets worse each year as hill sports become more common.
Stay safe
 JohnnyW 06 Dec 2012
In reply to aultguish:

What he said My pick-up got a lot of towing work in the two heavy winters a few years ago, and my wife's quite an expert at pulling folks out of ditches!
 Heike 06 Dec 2012
In reply to aultguish: My climbing partner and I felt very smug a couple of years ago when - after having climbed on Beinn an Lochain - we rescued a posh young couple (lady in high heels and gent in his finest leathers) from their Porsche which got stuck on top of the Rest and be Thankful. It had been snowing all day.
 robinsi197 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Heike:
> (lady in high heels and gent in his finest leathers).

An image to dwell on, but possibly not the correct one.

ag17 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig: If it's of any help the Highland Council publish maps showing their gritting priorities (http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/33088B40-3CE2-44D1-877D-4188F8017A0... The Kinlcohleven road is a priority 1 (the highest) and the Etive road a priority 4...
 Joak 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:
>
>
> Yeah the forecast went from looking quite good for the weekend to pretty minging. IME though, MWIS can be a bit OTT with its forecasting, especially with regards to wind speed. Metoffice doesn't seem to think it'll be that bad.

Aye a couple of days ago it looked liked a blue skies Golden Oldie or Forcan Ridge this weekend, starting to look like the Ice Factor and back doon the road. Then again never say never!!
OP Taurig 06 Dec 2012
In reply to ag17:

That is very useful, thanks very much. I think the plan now is to try down Glen Etive, but if it gets too sketchy we'll about turn and head up the Mamores from Kinlochleven.
 Jamie B 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:

The Kinloch road has been getting gritted, but not as comprehensively as the A82. Watch out for black ice mornings and evenings.
thegreatape 07 Dec 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to Taurig)
>
> My car was stuck at the end of Glen Etive for a week a few years ago, it seemed they prioritised the A82 for clearing and gritting and they cleared the side roads when they had time. The locals didn't seem to mind in their 4x4's. Kingy webcam should give you a clue as to the condition of it.
>
> J

Different responsibilities - Transerve are responsible for the A82, Highland Council for the Glen Etive Road and the B863 Kinlochleven Road - and different gritters!

My daughter had a free day off school on Tuesday because the council hadn't gritted the Kinlochleven Road and it wasn't safe for the buses. They should have got their arses in gear now though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...