UKC

Set of Ice screw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pak.pako 08 Dec 2012
would you recommend any set of ice screws for Scottish Winter climbing a grade III/IV ? and how many on every size?

thanks a lot
 Milesy 08 Dec 2012
I have 2 x 13cm, 2 x 16cm, 2 x 19cm and that is way too many for most Scottish routes.

If I was to buy again I would just get the two stubby 13s, one 16 and one 19.
OP pak.pako 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Milesy:

Thanks for answer Milesy

I think about this set : http://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/product/892_black-diamond-express-ic...

and I have stil 2x21cm old ice screws

Thanks again
In reply to pak.pako: The problem with ice screws and Scottish climbing is that you generally need none, sometimes need a couple but occasionally need lots.

At a rough guess:
For around 70-80% of routes you probably don't need any, you can find other gear.
For another 15-25% of routes 2-3 screws will be enough.
For perhaps 2-3% of routes 5-6 would be ideal.
However for a final 1% of routes were, depending on conditions, you may need two belays on ice screws you might need 8+ to be completely happy.

Most people work rounds this by only having a few and then relying on their partner also having some or borrowing some for specific routes or when climbing at specific venues like Ben Udlaidh.
 Wee Davie 08 Dec 2012
In reply to pak.pako:

For grade III I wouldn't be expecting to place many screws- unless climbing at somewhere like Udlaidh.
I've sometimes seen climbers carrying screws where they really aren't needed. If it's an icy route/ gully it will quite often say so in the route description. If it's a buttress climb it's unlikely screws will be of much use as there will usually be reasonable wires/ hexes/ slings you'd place in preference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...