UKC

Beinn Udlaidh today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 09 Dec 2012
Conditions: shite.

Seriously, nothing's in at all on the hill, the thaw has been a bit more aggressive than suggested. There's ice on QS and a lot on the "Pan" etc area, but it's thin and running with water. Even Central and West Gullies are incomplete. Sunshine Gully looks to be the most complete route on the hill. There's a fair amount of ice still on Organ Pipes, but again, very wet. Best ice and turf were on the walk in....

Shouldn't take much to get things going again, and forecast looks like it might do the trick. Lots of water running to freeze up, lots of turf exposed to get solid. Fingers crossed...

Gordon
 Nick_Scots 09 Dec 2012
Thanks, conditions from the actual areas always more welcome than suggestions of conditions !
Paul035 09 Dec 2012
In reply to peebles boy:

Aye thanks for posting, good to know
 yer maw 09 Dec 2012
In reply to peebles boy: aye was always going to be a bit of a gamble today. Though the highest routes might have been a better option for you, even then probably the easier gullies only in. On the plus side its building well and the week ahead adding to it so a positive outlook.

I had hoped to get out today for my first winter climb of a few years but didn't look worth it and got all my good ladies birthday and Xmas pressies intead. It was that or a round of golf! I've come far in life!
 Milesy 09 Dec 2012
I was going to Udlaidh today but decided against it after the last few days anyway. Dont feel so bad for lying in now.
 IanMcC 09 Dec 2012
In reply to yer maw:
Golf! <splutter>
Good to see ye back, mr maw
 Luk e 10 Dec 2012
In reply to peebles boy:

Did Ramshead gully on Saturday. Waist high snow on the approach, the mountain was definitely thawing though, pitch 2 was more like climbing an icy waterfall. Got drenched! although..probably shouldn't of been just been wearing a softshell..
 mark turnbull 13 Dec 2012
In reply to peebles boy:
Has any 1 been up this week ? Thinkin of going for a look tomorrow ,, Any1 fancy comein along give me a shout I will be leavin Edinburgh about 6 if am going , should get a climb in
 Milesy 13 Dec 2012
In reply to mark turnbull:

Looked at Fahrenheit 451 and Salamander Gully on Creag Coire an Dothaidh yesterday. Both are just there but looked thin and desperate and not fully formed. I would say they are a reasonable indicator.
In reply to Milesy:
Mmmm not really
 jonnie3430 13 Dec 2012

I climbed good but thin ice on the NE corie of Beinn an Dothaidh yesterday, so would imagine Beinn Udlaidh is in, but a bit thin. I think the info is a bit redundant though as the weather tomorrow is poor for climbing and the conditions for Sat and Sun will have changed after tomorrows weather!
 Milesy 13 Dec 2012

Why? It is in the same area. Roughly same altitude. Both are driven by snow melt / drainage and things were thin just a few days ago?
 jonnie3430 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to mark turnbull)
>
> Why? It is in the same area. Roughly same altitude. Both are driven by snow melt / drainage and things were thin just a few days ago?

Creag Coire An Dothaidh is South West facing and Beinn Udlaidh is North facing. I've been waiting for Fahrenheit 451 for a while now...
In reply to jonnie3430:
Yea I've been waiting a few years for Fahrenheit 451 as well ..
If it comes in this season you fancy it??
In reply to jonnie3430:
Think I will head up ,, might catch a easy route with abit if ice on it before it gos
Thanks for the info
 Mark Bull 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Milesy:

> Why? It is in the same area. Roughly same altitude. Both are driven by snow melt / drainage and things were thin just a few days ago?

Not sure: maybe Creag Coire an Dothaidh is more reliant on snowmelt to produce ice. In Dec 2010/ Jan 2011 Udlaidh was in good nick but F451 barely formed at all.
 LakesWinter 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Mark Bull: I think this is true - it was the same in Feb 2010. Farenheit 451 needs a couple of weeks of cold and stormy weather I think.
 Jamie B 13 Dec 2012

Pretty blowy tomorrow (southeasterly I think), and it's been snowing today. Watch those exit slopes!!
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
Cheers Jamie , I will do
 jonnie3430 14 Dec 2012
> (In reply to jonnie3430)

> If it comes in this season you fancy it??

Aye, but am away early Jan to June, so will probably not make it...
 sam_owen41 30 Dec 2012
In reply to peebles boy: anyone been up recently?
 AlH 30 Dec 2012
In reply to sam_owen41: Nope but it needs several days of concerted freeze (rather than the series of wee freezes and mega thaws we've just had) at lower levels to come in. I'd be surprised if there was anything in now.
 Milesy 30 Dec 2012
Was up The Brack today. Wet snow and rain everywhere. Not an ounce of ice anywhere. Water torrenting down off the hills including looking across to almost the summit of The Cobbler.
 sam_owen41 30 Dec 2012
In reply to peebles boy: fair one cheers for the info!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...