UKC

Complaint on flight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 20 Dec 2012
I deleted the first thinking I may have written something I shouldn't have being that this case is not even at interview stage. SO I'll try to write with less specific information.

Is it normal for a DC to contact someone via email after a complaint has been made?

If a complaint had been made on a flight, would it not be more normal for the offender to be met off the plane?

I have clarified my email, UK address and abroad phone number at this point, there are no scams that can function with such little information are there?

The complaint is of racial and homophobic abuse of someone and apparently some physical contact, on the flight. Of which I know nothing about, but I was on the flight.

I'll leave it at that for now and see what you guys have to say.

This occurred over 3 months ago, yet I was only contacted for the first time this morning, is this normal?
Removed User 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Dominicandave:

Normal? Run all that by me again with the missing bits added in.

Did I miss another thread?
 Yanis Nayu 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: Have you been contacted as a witness or a suspect?
 off-duty 20 Dec 2012

If you are worried about a scam look up the telephone number of the police force (not any number on the email) and ask to be put through to the DC in the relevant department.
0Unknown0 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Removed User: I woke up this morning, email, this is DC ----- from the MET. Someone logged a complaint that you verbally and physically assaulted someone on a flight over 3 months ago.

I was on the flight, but know absolutely nothing of this assault, verbal or physical.

He wanted to interview me, but obviously there is quite some distance. We clarified my email, phone number abroad and my family address in UK.

I will not be returning for a long time and we left it at that.

Basically. I don't want to nor can't go into great detail as I have none. I'm still spinning, I dunno what's going on.
0Unknown0 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity: Suspect, the complaint has been made against me.
 GrahamD 20 Dec 2012

I'd follow off duty's advice.
 off-duty 20 Dec 2012

Was your flight from a London airport?
Bimbler 20 Dec 2012

Was it DC Ten?
0Unknown0 20 Dec 2012
In reply to off-duty: does it make much difference? Surely the factors on what is normal wouldnt vary depending which airport?
 off-duty 20 Dec 2012

I would imagine the Met would only get involved if you were in some way in their jurisdiction -eg a London flight. And my guess would be inbound to London.

The DC's email address should be of the format john.smith@met.police.uk or very similar.
arch the parch 20 Dec 2012
Was it a DC10? Awesome!!!
 winhill 20 Dec 2012

Was it racist because he was black or racist because you called him black? Did he actually look like Diana Ross?

How did the DC get your email addy? via the airline or have they visited you without success?
 cuppatea 20 Dec 2012

How much information have you given the phishers so far?
3 months is a long time to wait, how did they narrow the suspect list down to you? Remember any altercations on the flight?
Talius Brute 20 Dec 2012

I'd think it's real. Unlikely for scammers to get the fact you were on a flight and what your email is. But do as off-duty suggests and contact police direct in a way you know you are dealing with them.

If you genuinely don't know anything about it then it should all be fine. It's probably the wrong person (perhaps you changed seats last minute?) or the person is a nutter. Get the police to track down details of people sitting near you, so they can verify nothing happened.
 argyle_dude 21 Dec 2012

I don't think something that happened in flight would come under the Mets jurisdiction, even if it happened over Met air space. Anything that happens on a train or train station is dealt with by British Transport Police for example, and while they may ask the local force to apprehend an offender if they have no officers near by, the crime is recorded by BTP and they do the follow up.

The delay in contact is not sus in itself, unless the complaint was made in flight. It is possible the alledged victim waited before reporting it.

If it is a police email it will end @[force area].pnn.police.uk

As suggest above, contact the Met and they will easily be able to clarify whether it is legit. The email would include a crime reference number to give them if it is.
 EeeByGum 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: I would ignore it. I find it amazing to think that the best the police can do is contact a potential offender by email. I thought they usually turned up at dawn and smashed your front door in?
 Tall Clare 21 Dec 2012

What happened to the other thread you put up yesterday, about the misunderstanding with the bloke putting his luggage in the overhead locker?
 dunc56 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: Simple - you are an evil racist
 off-duty 21 Dec 2012
In reply to argyle_dude:

I am certain that incidents occurring on inbound flights are dealt with by the force which covers the airport where the plane lands.

BTP just cover the railways.

None of which is to say that this email is genuine or not.
 Milesy 21 Dec 2012
In reply to off-duty:
> None of which is to say that this email is genuine or not.

+1 to this.

I find it very hard to believe the authenticity of this email. Look at the email headers and see who the "from" and "reply to" headers are set to. Sometimes the "from" is spoofed to a fake address so it looks to be from as legitimate source but when you click reply it is going to a different hotmail address or something.
 yorkshireman 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to off-duty)
> [...]
>
> +1 to this.
>
> I find it very hard to believe the authenticity of this email. Look at the email headers and see who the "from" and "reply to" headers are set to. Sometimes the "from" is spoofed to a fake address so it looks to be from as legitimate source but when you click reply it is going to a different hotmail address or something.

Agree - my first thought would be suspicious - scammers trying to glean personal info.

Did the email have the details? Flight number, times etc? Or was it vague (you were on a flight to London in the last 6 months?).

This could be genuine, but I think you'd be within your rights to be mistrustful.

The only way to be sure is to call the met police and ask to talk to the officer concerned.

Don't communicate back to the original email address.

If it's genuine, they will not be annoyed that you're taking precautions, if its not, they'll be able to tell you and you'll be able to complain about the scam which might be happening to other people.
 SCC 21 Dec 2012
In reply to argyle_dude:
> (In reply to Dominicandave)
>
> I don't think something that happened in flight would come under the Mets jurisdiction, even if it happened over Met air space. Anything that happens on a train or train station is dealt with by British Transport Police for example, and while they may ask the local force to apprehend an offender if they have no officers near by, the crime is recorded by BTP and they do the follow up.

Trains and planes are a bit different. BTP deal with the Railways. Nothing to do with the OP's situation.

Si
scrufff 21 Dec 2012

Scam or not, you shouldn't be saying anything to them anyway
 off-duty 21 Dec 2012
In reply to scrufff:
>
> Scam or not, you shouldn't be saying anything to them anyway

Yep, because there's nothing to beat the excitement of being arrested as you attempt to check in (or out) of an airport.
scrufff 21 Dec 2012
In reply to off-duty:

Or you think you're protesting your innocence, but end up incriminating yourself.

'I only called 'im Diana Ross, honest guv, that's not a crime is it?'
'Actually yes it is...'

That sort of thing.
 Yanis Nayu 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> What happened to the other thread you put up yesterday, about the misunderstanding with the bloke putting his luggage in the overhead locker?

Was that the one where he hypothetically admitted handling Diana Ross's penis?
 off-duty 21 Dec 2012
In reply to scrufff:
> (In reply to off-duty)
>
> Or you think you're protesting your innocence, but end up incriminating yourself.
>
> 'I only called 'im Diana Ross, honest guv, that's not a crime is it?'
> 'Actually yes it is...'
>
> That sort of thing.

Or you could take advantage of the free legal advice that is available and offered (repeatedly) should you attend a police station for an interview.
Because of its genuine that is where you will end up, either at a time of your own arrangement or not.
 itsThere 21 Dec 2012
is there anything else in the email to go at in terms of contact from them. eg a website to go to. call the police non emergancy line and ask. only if you want to spend the pennies for a long distance call. they might be able to help you on how they would contact you.
Removed User 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> What happened to the other thread you put up yesterday, about the misunderstanding with the bloke putting his luggage in the overhead locker?

Really? I think this is your answer.
In reply to Removed User: "What happened to the other thread you put up yesterday, about the misunderstanding with the bloke putting his luggage in the overhead locker?

Really? I think this is your answer."

Exactly. Is this DD chap very stable? Wasn't he wanting to end it all not so long ago and decided UKC should know and had everyone on here scrambling to give him attention?
 Timmd 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:I think it might have been a friend?

It was written that it was, which could easily be true, being open minded...
 Andrew Wilson 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:
Possible schizophrenia?
 Albert Tatlock 21 Dec 2012
In reply to scrufff:

Good advice,so they circulate you as wanted,to be arrested on your return through immigration control etc, after a long flight back to the UK.The wanted status remains indefinately to the point of arrest.

or

You talk to them and attempt to resolve the matter at a suitable / convenient time to both parties.

If he follows your advice, then would should have another intresting thread in the future ;]
scrufff 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

If his email reads anything like the thread he deleted he'd do best keeping schtum. If they have evidence to arrest you, they arrest you - the denial bit comes later, with a solicitor present.
 off-duty 21 Dec 2012
In reply to scrufff:
> (In reply to Albert Tatlock)
>
> If his email reads anything like the thread he deleted he'd do best keeping schtum. If they have evidence to arrest you, they arrest you - the denial bit comes later, with a solicitor present.

Or "they" make efforts to arrange a voluntary interview, or a convenient time for the OP to have an interview. When those efforts fail then just circulate him as wanted. And he gets arrested at a border somewhere.
 Kimono 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
> Exactly. Is this DD chap very stable? Wasn't he wanting to end it all not so long ago and decided UKC should know and had everyone on here scrambling to give him attention?

Well, you're up for compassionate reply of the year there...

So, if Dave has been struggling a bit of late, maybe a little understanding might be in order...not talking about him as if he was out of the room.

I really hope that this comes to nothing Dave.
Estas en la Republica?? Estoy todavia en Cabarete. Si tu vienes aqui, llamame y vamos a tomar una verde

Andrew Wilson 22 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:
You are right. My post was a crap joke based on the fact that I had read dave's username as Dominic-and-Dave. Sorry Dave.
 shaymarriott 24 Dec 2012

I would have thought that due to DPA if they were contacting you by email it would simply be in order to get in contact. I doubt they would discuss details of an allegation with you over email... If there is an allegation made against you, the Met will try and contact you using any details they have for you, and once they have confirmed your UK address they will attempt to visit you if necessary. If you are out of the country (DR?) then they are unable to do anything until you are back in the UK for jurisdiction reasons. It would be seriously unprofessional to try and sort out an alleged 'assualt' over email. I think email back with a number local to you, and tell them that if it's genuine they can call you directly. Explain they'll pay long dist call rates. Legit police will certainly call, it its phishermen they won't bother with the hassle. Best of luck sorting it Dave.

PS. If all else fails, maybe offer to be voluntarily arrested over Skype? Or they could sentence you with a Facebook jury. Just sayin'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...