UKC

Which bouldering mat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mav 10 Jan 2013
I'll keep it simple. I'm getting a new bouldering mat. Budget up to £150. Any recommendations, positive or negative?

Jon Stewart 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mav:

I liked my Moon one which folds so that the side which is sopping wet and covered in cowshit is inside, and has a flap of carpet/bootwipe material which keeps your kit from falling out when you carry it. Good design. But the foam has gone pretty flat after not massively long (but maybe the same as my old BD dropzone).

adstapleton 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mav:

momentum bouldering dot co dot uk
molly2202 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mav: Have a look at Alpkit mats - Ive used them for a good few years and think for the money, they're great....
OP mav 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
I'd heard that about Moon mats - that the foam quality lets them down. Interesting its similar to DM. Thanks
 BobbyH 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mav:

I'm really impressed with my Edelrid pads. Good foam (4 separate layers), fairly sturdy construction (although the zip on the Deapoint can be a bit fiddly) and the Deadpoint and Mantle pads also come with a smaller sit-start pad included.
Might be just over budget though ~£160 i think.
 alooker 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mav: dmm highball does the trick for me and you can find it for £150
OP mav 10 Jan 2013
Having done a quick google round the Edinburgh based shops, recommendations of shops that deliver for reasonable prices could be needed, or my choice will be severely limited!
 Morgan P 11 Jan 2013
In reply to mav: Both of the websites below deliver for free over a certain value purchase (that you'll be over) and are great websites for good deals

www.v12outdoor.com/
www.joe-brown.com/
 nufkin 11 Jan 2013
In reply to mav:

Another vote for the DMM Highball

In addition to the sites above, you can get one at budget (and free delivery) here:

http://www.urbanrock.com/bouldering-mats

mikekeswick 11 Jan 2013
In reply to nufkin: My DMM mat is the business, years of abuse and still going strong. Excellent foam.
In reply to mav:

Yep I got my DMM Highball from Urban Rock just before Christmas and the DMM Bit for a little more help for £50 from Cotswold Outdoors. The Highball is great.
 coulson84 15 Jan 2013
In reply to adstapleton: I think I'm going to get from those momentum guys. It looks like a quality product and it's all about supporting a new local company (Well North Yorkshire based anyway - which is good enough for me). Might have to get a custom chalk bag from them too if I can think of a good design - bye bye tax rebate
 Duck Egg 15 Jan 2013
In reply to mav: I'm very happy with my Snap Bun. It was £150 from Outside in Hathersage. Quality foam and reassuringly chunky. Great for highballs and with a crafty rubbery bottom which stops unwanted mat surfing. Folds landing side out for cowshit avoidance.
 ti.williams 16 Jan 2013
In reply to mav:

My Edelrid Mantle is great, really versatile because of the zip, I've used it as much for sleeping on as climbing!
OP mav 16 Jan 2013
So many recommendations! Thanks!

The heartening thing is that there don't seem to be any 'avoid like the plague' comments, it seems that everyone is pleased with their respective choices, which makes life much easier. Whatever I get, it's going to be bigger and more re-assuring than my 15(?!) year old 2*4 scarpa postage stamp.

Now I just have to choose and enjoy.
 rotax123 16 Jan 2013
In reply to mav: I would second the Alpkit matts! Very reasonable price and good quality.
Also Wild country have a bouldering matt coming out soon which is worth checking out.
max

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...