UKC

Lancaster walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IMA 19 Jan 2013
Just a quick question, how good is Lancaster Uni wall? Or is there somewhere better to go? Moving tomorrow and just thought I'd ask

Thanks
IMA
 CharlieW 19 Jan 2013
In reply to IMA: it is pretty small but ok for an odd session, admittedly I've only bouldered there. Worth visiting Kendal wall and West view in Preston, both a short trip on the motorway.
 Jon Wickham 19 Jan 2013
In reply to IMA: It's quite a new wall but on the small side, particularly the bouldering. This means it often gets full at peak times. I use it as it is convenient, but many people travel to Kendal, Ingleton or West View in Preston which are all within 30 minutes. Worth having a look, but I wouldn't put much money down until you know if you can use it when it's quieter.
 stuart58 19 Jan 2013
In reply to IMA: blackpool has a bluldering room. Indoor wall and 2 outdoor walls at 25m tall as well loads to do in area
 joeldering 19 Jan 2013
In reply to IMA:
I used Lancaster wall a few times over Christmas and enjoyed it. Found the problems on the boulder wall and the lead were nicely set. It is pretty small though - I reckon it'd be fine for using once a week, but any more than that and you'll probably want to mix it up a bit.

For what it's worth, I was working in the grade range of up to about V4 and 6c.
In reply to IMA: Hello there, we use it a lot in conjuction with Kendal, Preston and Blackburn depending how long we've got. It is great for a quick hit and then maybe a swim and a sauna. All four venues have very different characters and have different styles to offer, all good though. V
OP IMA 20 Jan 2013
In reply to IMA: Cheers for the pointers, as I am working at the uni for a few months I may join for the convenience as it doesn't sound too bad
 pork pie girl 20 Jan 2013
In reply to IMA:

i climb there alot at the moment.. 4-5 times a week.. seems to be a few of us that climb there on a very regular basis.. grades are vo to v9, 5+ to 7b+for the routes.

it's small but the probelms and routes are changed on a very regular basis.. every 4 weeks for the bouldering... which works really well for me.. i often could do with an extra week or two for some of the problems i'm trying

i only climb the routes about onc a week, finding them pretty good.. intend to increase the amount i'm doing on these.

it can get very busy but i find if it's too busy in teh bouldering area i go and do an hour or so in the gym and come back down and the walls very quiet.

the late afternoons during the weekends tend to get quite busy

so 5 to 6 pm in the bouldering area is often rammed but much quieter after that and the routes are often very quiet apart from weekends

staff are super enthusiastic, keen on listening to customers, helping with technique and training ideas and stuff like that... for 25 quid per month for the use of the whole centre it's well worth joining up in my humble opinion that is

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...