UKC

Tell me what you think of...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CrankCrimp 21 Jan 2013
So, anyone who has a boring few moments at work to waste, or is just generally feeling nice and wants to donate 4 minutes of their time..

Please watch the following link to a youtube clip of bouldering on Arran and tell me if you think it's any good? How it could be improved? etc etc

youtube.com/watch?v=anqlNjKPzKg&

Thanks
CrankCrimp
 Calder 21 Jan 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp:

a) Don't lie. The video is 4min 50.

b) It could be improved with one or more of the following:

- More sunshine
- Better camera angles
- Some drama
- It could star John Dunne

Your welcome. G.
The_JT 21 Jan 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp:

I assume from the visitarran.com at the end that you're trying to sell bouldering as an activity to do there? If so, have you considered the social aspects of bouldering?
 sihills 21 Jan 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp:

positives

- the music (who is it?)

negatives

- doesnt feel like there is any thought about camera angles which then means most of the problems look shit!
- Id quite like to know the names of the problems and the grades.
- your in a stunning area and you dont show any of the amazing scenery
- I like more people in bouldering videos, spotting, moving mats, make it feel like a much more friendly sport!
 Fraser 21 Jan 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp:

For me, the boulders weren't high enough or interesting enough. And the problems themselves weren't great. Multi-angle camera shots might have helped but I doubt it, sorry. Maybe wider shots to show the context and scenery would add some more interest.
OP CrankCrimp 21 Jan 2013
In reply to sihills:

thanks for all the feedback guys

sihills - the music is a song called 'dark storm' by the jezabels
 ashley1_scott 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp:
Having just watched it there are a few things that could be improved on it to make it more of an advert to selling Scottish bouldering.
Bouldering is a lot about the friendly atmosphere, so being shot with just one climber loses this.
You are in a beautiful area which really doesn't get seen.
One of the climbs sees you moving around a small tree/bush, you kick into it multiple times. This is not what the locals want to see.

It was good to see you not using chalk or lots of it if you were, as yet again. Lots of chalk all over the boulder is not a way to see the idea.

I do have a couple of questions,
Did you know that the boulder mat was in the wrong spot for a couple of the problems, unless the camera angle changes the fall angle.
If you are going to climb with a big La Sportiva advert on your back, its normally polite to climb in their shoes (looks like 5.10's)
Hope my feed back helps in any way.
Ashley
OP CrankCrimp 22 Jan 2013
In reply to ashley1_scott:

Thanks Ashley, all good advice

Taking on board everything, hopefully my next one can improve
OP CrankCrimp 24 Jan 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp:

To add to this post... Can i just ask... What editing software does everyone use?

Thanks
 Beardyman 25 Jan 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp: I use Windows Live Movie Maker which is very user friendly and can do most things a keen amateur would want to do. I have just upgraded to Sony Vegas Moviestudio 12 but have only had a little play about with it so far.
 Beardyman 25 Jan 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp: Some feedback, get a tripod, I'm pretty sure you are just putting your camera on the ground, this will enable you to place the camera in much better positions for the climbing and maybe get some background scenery in. I generally think the camera should not be positioned lower then the climber, it foreshortens the height of the boulder, makes it look less steep and you get alot of ass shots!

The shot at about 1.30 is nice (bright tshirt helps!)

I think nice weather would help a bit but agree with a previous poster, the boulders are just too small to look inspiring or impressive...
 Flinticus 25 Jan 2013
In reply to ashley1_scott:
Assuming there is no sponsorship or contract, why the need for the brand of the shoes to match the t-shirt? Am I being impolite by wearing a Patagonia jacket with RAB t-shirt?
 Beardyman 25 Jan 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp: Here is a video I made, I spent quite a lot of time editing this to make the climbing fit in with the music.

vimeo.com/41263593
 Beardyman 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to ashley1_scott)
> Assuming there is no sponsorship or contract, why the need for the brand of the shoes to match the t-shirt? Am I being impolite by wearing a Patagonia jacket with RAB t-shirt?

Agree.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...