UKC

Peak District pub food

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark20 01 Feb 2013
Looking for some decent beer and pub food after climbing tomorrow, but not anywhere posh/expensive. Will be around Chatsworth way but don't mind a 15min drive, or somewhere on way back to Sheffield
Any suggestions?
Ta
 Jon Stewart 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20:

The Grouse. Best steak pie ever, great pub, not posh.

Or if you want cheap but crap, Robin Hood in Hathersage.
 alooker 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20: scotsmans pack in hathersage does good food too
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to mark20)
>
> Or if you want cheap but crap, Robin Hood in Hathersage.

I dunno, I thought the mixed grill was outstanding.

In reply to mark20: The £3.59 carvery at the Moorlands at Olwer bar isn't bad.
 Aly 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20: Personally I'd go for the The Rising Sun, The Three Stags Heads or The Strines Inn over the ones suggested but they're not quite as convenient for you heading back to Sheffield.
 Offwidth 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20:

There is a really good ongoing pub thread if you search on the other channel.
 LakesWinter 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Aly: But strines is poo for food
 Simon 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to mark20)
>
>
> The Grouse. Best steak pie ever, great pub, not posh.
>
>

Just been done up a bit too... went the other day & sat in my seat by the fire... I didn't want to move as usual it were great... as soon as we made to leave we were pounced upon by some locals desperate to sit by the open fire with their steak pie -

its got a couple of good beers on pump at the mo as well - just mind that food stops at 3pm on Saturday and chef is back at 6:30pm.

Sunday food is all day...

enjoy..

Si

OP mark20 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Simon:
Thanks Simon that's really useful
 Sam_in_Leeds 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20:

I had a lovely meal in The Cheshire Cheese at Hope and the fox-house was "Ok" without being amazing but still nice enough.
In reply to Jon Stewart: Where's there a pub called Robin Hood in Hathersage? Do you mean The Little John?
 Alyson 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20: If you've never tried it, my suggestion would be The Barrel Inn at Bretton. Not massively out of your way, reasonable food, cosy atmosphere and a lovely setting.

http://www.thebarrelinn.co.uk/
 Blue Straggler 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20:

FWIW I think the food at the Millstone just out of Hathersage is way better than anything I've had at Scotsman's Pack or the dreadful Little John.
 lowersharpnose 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Alyson:

3663 - if you know what I mean.
 Alyson 01 Feb 2013
In reply to lowersharpnose: I genuinely don't. The foodservice company??
 Big Steve 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20: Travellers Rest in Hope does a nice plate of food, nothing fancy but good and decent prices
 pog100 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

seconded, great pies ...
OP mark20 01 Feb 2013
I went to the Little John last weekend. OK it never used to be amazing, but cheap and a good atmosphere. It's now a swanky bar for the trendy local kids - f*cking aweful, avoid
 Muel 01 Feb 2013
> (In reply to mark20)
>
> the dreadful Little John.

How dare you! How very dare you! It might not be the best quality but the portion size/cost ratio is outstanding. I'm yet to finish the mixed grill, and I'm a big fat fatty.
Removed User 01 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20: Yeh I thought it could get no worse, then I turned up and found it had been wine barified...
 lowersharpnose 01 Feb 2013
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Yep. They deliver meals to pubs who heat them up.

https://www.3663.co.uk/pub-food/magnificent-mains

Jon Stewart 01 Feb 2013
In reply to aretherenoneleft:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart) Where's there a pub called Robin Hood in Hathersage? Do you mean The Little John?

That's exactly what I meant.
 Jon Stewart 01 Feb 2013
> (In reply to mark20)
>
> FWIW I think the food at the Millstone just out of Hathersage is way better than anything I've had at Scotsman's Pack or the dreadful Little John.

Posh though, innit?

And furthermore, their steak pie is of the type with the little pot with pastry top. Grouse's pie kicks the arse off it.
 Ramblin dave 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> the type with the little pot with pastry top

The technical term for this is "not a bloody pie"!
 Blue Straggler 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It's not posh. It's smart. And this has not made it expensive. £10 for a good main. OK you might pay £6.80 for a greater quantity of food in the Little John but a) it'll be more food than you want to eat and b) it'll be poor food.
In reply to mark20: +1 for the Barrel Inn at Bretton. Personal favourite is the Devonshire Arms in Beeley, good beer on draught too.
 ayuplass 02 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20:
Depending what route you take back to Sheffield the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow has nice beer and nice food at a reasonable price
 jpm102 02 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20:

Bridge Inn Curbar, it finally has new management, a lad from the village now runs it. Trying to make it a proper pub and doing a great job. It is a nice antithesis to the gastro style pubs appearing all over the peak. Got a good pie in there for something like £7. Not seen those prices in the peak in years.
 Ciderslider 02 Feb 2013
In reply to mark20: I think the Millstone Inn (just out of Hathersage on route to Millstone) is a really good pub - the foods really good and the ale is spot on.
I've always found the staff really friendly as well - granted it's not really within walking/staggering distance of a campsite.
 Ciderslider 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: If you think the Millstone Inn is a bit posh you wanna try some pubs in Sussex
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:
> (In reply to mark20) +1 for the Barrel Inn at Bretton. Personal favourite is the Devonshire Arms in Beeley, good beer on draught too.

The Devonshire Arms does have an unusually good selection of beer, for a restaurant.

OP mark20 02 Feb 2013
In reply to jpm102:
Didn't read that in time, but sounds just the ticket. Drove straight past the place too.
Went to the Grouse in the end, really good, thanks all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...