UKC

City sized glacial collapse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kelcat 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: That's awesome.
 ianstevens 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: Calving is a pretty common way in which glaciers lose mass anyway. Chunks have been coming off the end for ages, and, in periods of equal mass balance (i.e. the glacier stays the same size, material in=material out) are replaced by just as much snow.

A calving event is no evidence of global warming, it just looks good on the news.

Having said that...most glaciers are in net mass loss anyway as a result of global warming. Just a little bugbear of mine when people go "whoa, look at that massive chunk of ice coming off, that global warming is messing things up".
 LaMentalist 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni:

Wow thats phenomenal , must be hell of a thing to witness first hand .

Ta for posting Denni .
 davy_boy 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Denni: amazing video the size if that is incredible.
 krikoman 06 Feb 2013
In reply to ianstevens: did you read it ?

"While shooting a tongue of glacier that has receded as much in the past ten years as in the previous 100,"

We all know that lumps fall off glaciers it's the speed at which they are falling off that's changed.
 jon 06 Feb 2013
In reply to ianstevens:
> (In reply to Denni) Calving is a pretty common way in which glaciers lose mass anyway. Chunks have been coming off the end for ages (...)
> A calving event is no evidence of global warming, it just looks good on the news.
> Just a little bugbear of mine when people go "whoa, look at that massive chunk of ice coming off, that global warming is messing things up".

Yeah yeah... Move along, nothing to see here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...