UKC

The Weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 05 Feb 2013
I know we're only five weeks into 2013 but the weather so far as I can see seems to be following a similar pattern to what we had last year with no abatement in the rain and high winds.

Is anyone more optimistic than I am that we MIGHT have a decent summer this year?
 toad 05 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: well, it is Winter. Remember this time last year we had a drought, and some of the best weather was in March. Not holding my breath for a good summer, but rain and high winds are what you'd expect in Jan/Feb
 lummox 05 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: We've had two weeks of lying snow this year so far and snowing again today... and January has been drier than avaerage according to the Met Office.
 Sir Chasm 05 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: It's almost as if The Weather doesn't know it's a new calendar year.
OP mypyrex 05 Feb 2013
I just thought it would be nice to have a bit more clear, frosty weather. I enjoy walking on crispy days.
 Bulls Crack 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to mypyrex) It's almost as if The Weather doesn't know it's a new calendar year.

LOL as they say!
In reply to mypyrex: It'll be a scorcher. We're due one.

I have no evidence to support this beyond it being a while since the last hot one, but I do think we're going to have a good 'un.

T.
 yorkshireman 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> beyond it being a while since the last hot one

I'm no scientist but I don't think that's 'technically' evidence.

Where I live it rained 3 times that I remember between May and September last year and was scorching for most of it

In reply to yorkshireman: In the court of meteorological speculation, that's a smoking gun, that is. Better than an aching bunion and a field full of over-active moles trying to get cows to stand up instead of lie down through strategic burrowing and hill-building.

Just wait till late August when with skin tanned like leather and a voice hoarse through dehydration you croak, "When will it ever rain again...?".

Well, that's my prediction. It's a good one for a day when the snow's still not thawed completely.

T.
 Al Evans 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Well I'd really like to move back to England(before I die) but the really serious thing apart from all the hassle, is I don't know if I could cope with the weather after living in Spain for over ten years. Today for example it was yet another day of blue sky, max temp 20C, haven't seen rain for weeks and all year min night temp has been 6C, but it rarely gets that cold.
I miss snow and stuff but I really am not sure if I will ever cope with the terrible British climate in my dotage.
In reply to Al Evans: You should fly back right now Al. You'd soon stop missing the cold wet dark of the British winter where every day seems to bring with an attempt at my personal record of wearing ever-thicker layers of fleece in ever-greater numbers. I know that there's a sun, I've seen it myself, a long time ago...

T.
Message to spring: get sprung.
 Tom Last 05 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

This all depends on where you live really doesn't it. We had no more than about 30 days without rain or stinking fog to some degree last year where I am in Cornwall if I counted correctly. This year we've so far had one sunny day and I think it's possibly the only day without any rain. Many of the rainy days have also been torrential and coupled with wind that sounds like it's gonna take the roof off oh and many days of flooding. Hot summer down here? No chance! Seriously considering leaving the westcountry because of the weather alone.
 Tom Last 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Southern Man:

Further to this, in December 2011 and for a week either side there was not a single day where it didn't rain here. Six f***ing weeks. That was nice.
 Conf#2 06 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

/minor thread hijack/

Guys, what happened to the thread on the recent parliamentary vote?

/hijack over/

Also, in Sweden it's real chilly!

Ta.
 Timmd 06 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

I've been pleasantly surprised at how the passing autumn and winter havn't been weeks of continual rain in Sheffield.

Quite pleased, as a mate moved to Sheffield in the summer and I hoped she'd have more a 'classic' autumn and winter, rather than the dreary warm and windy rainy ones we've had in the past.

Along with the warmth and rain there's been some snow and frost and sun and blue skies. I have been outside a lot though, means I actually get to experience the nice weather.
 Timmd 06 Feb 2013
In reply to confusicating:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> /minor thread hijack/
>
> Guys, what happened to the thread on the recent parliamentary vote?
>
> /hijack over/
>
> Also, in Sweden it's real chilly!
>
> Ta.

You're in Sweden and you're on UKC? You addict. ()

Conf#2 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Moved here for 6 months for work, so loneliness lead me back here again.

It's getting better, though!

Timmd 06 Feb 2013
In reply to confusicating:

Ah, I see, oops. You'll make friends soon i'm sure. ()

Just seems to take a bit of putting one's self about IME.

At least for 'doing stuff' friends that is.
 Conf#2 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Yeah, I've met lots of ace people! And got some fun exciting stuff lined up. Thanks, though.

Just miss one tiny person a lot. Be r8 though!

Also, I'm on here for the Marriage business =-)

Kimono 07 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
sorry to hear its all a bit grim over there still
But i for one am really hoping for a good summer as it will be my first back in the UK for 4 or 5 years....very happy to have missed last year's!
 Philip 07 Feb 2013
On average, out summers are never that hot or dry. It's just that some years there are above average dry and warm weekends and it seems better.

Last year was particularly poor though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...