UKC

Grivel Matrix tech axe - Warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottMackenzie 06 Feb 2013
Hi - not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I've just tried to change the picks on my grivel matrix tech axes (its the ones with the monster picks) all the allen key insets have rounded nearly instantly when I tried to loosen the bolts. They are all totally unusable within a few seconds of trying them. The metal of the bolts seems reslly weak. Also, the bolts themselves on the otherside of the pick deform when pressure is applied to them with a set of pliers, therefore rounding off.

I've got two picks now stuck on the tools which seem impossible to remove.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm so annoyed at the moment! :-/ - if it was a mountain route you'd be totally screwed!

Anyone had similar experience / solutions to getting the picks off?!

Thanks Scott
 mrchewy 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_M@c: Drill the bolts off - easy enough. They are rounded off from new, so the first time they are removed takes a little extra work.
In reply to mrchewy:

Thanks, indeed last resort for tomorrow but can't believe the poor quality of the bolt metal (ie what if it were a route, it would be impossible to change).

Cheers for the tip. On it.

Scott
 NottsRich 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_M@c: For your next try, can I suggest using something more suitable than a pair of pliers? And probably a liberal spraying with plusgas or similar the day before.

To salvage the rounded hex bolts you might be able to use a slightly oversized Torx bit, hammered into the rounded hole. The penetrating oil and a decent spanner might help. Failing that, drill them out as suggested.
 iksander 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_M@c: They're not designed to be changed on the hill. Did you manage to wear them out? They're strongest picks I've seen.
 quirky 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_M@c: pliers?? jeeeze!!
Railly 07 Feb 2013
In reply to quirky: lol
 itsThere 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_M@c: maybe you had a set of imperial sizes and they were it metric. If its not a tight fit its very easy to round stuff off. Maybe talk to grivel/mountain boot comp. http://www.mountainboot.co.uk/

I had a stuck bolt on a disk rota, bit of a hacksaw later and had made more of a mess. Local bike shop put some stuff on it to loosen it up. Then it came off.
 LaMentalist 07 Feb 2013
In reply to itsThere:

Local bike shop put some stuff on it to loosen it up. Then it came off.

This s~t~U~f~f you speak of !? Is it golden in hue & doth glint with a ephemereal glow ?

Could it be the hallowed legendendary medieval balm of Yore ?!

Graeme Barr 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_M@c: You need to file the ends of the bolts off first as they are flattened when new.
 Reach>Talent 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_M@c:
As someone else mentioned, aren't these bolts bastardised?* You need to carefully file the end of the bolt and clean up the thread before you undo them. When you replace them either wallop them with a hammer of stick nylocks on to stop them vibrating loose.

*The delicate process of thumping the end of a bolt with a hammer so it won't come undone.
 Petarghh 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_M@c:

You need to file the rounded ends off of the bolts, then they loosen up easily. I did this with mine and replaced them with more sturdy bolts as I swap the picks quite regularly on my monsters depending upon whether i'm mainly tooling or winter climbing.
 beardy mike 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Scott_M@c: I seem to recall that to pass the CE tests they had to rivit over the ends of the bolts. To remove them, you would need to grind back the bolts and replace the nuts completely. Once you've ground the bolts back past the rivited section they should be easy to remove...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...