UKC

How far would you travel daily for work ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
New POD 07 Feb 2013
Here's the thing. My job is as a Freelance Manuafacturing Engineer.

In 3 years I've had contracts in Telford, and the East Midlands, both of which are in excess of 2 hours and 100 miles each way, so no discussion.

Current contract is 1 hour and 65 miles if I leave the house at 6 am, but 1.25 to 2 hours in the evening, but would probaly average 1.5 hours.

That would get me home at 6.30, but knackered and grumpy after motorway madness had been inflicted on me. So I rent digs 4 nights a week.

Just met 3 guys in the office who travel similar distances and can't understand why I choose not to go home every night to my wife.

I comute for 2 hours daily if it were an easy train ride at a reasonable cost, because I could read the paper and listen to music and drink coffee, but to me it's just extra risks everytime I go on the motorway.
Pinged 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

Im with your colleagues...get yourself home
 EeeByGum 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD: I'm with you. I used to do the Manchester to Liverpool trawl. Only 35 miles but took anywhere from 1 - 3 hours each way. After 4 years I couldn't stomach it any longer and so managed to get a job back in Manchester. I think I would rather beg on the street that do a long commute again. I also find it hard to justify spending £70 a week in fuel which is what it would probably now cost.
 iccy 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Pinged:

I've done both. I had a much better quality of life when I was staying over. It meant I was a much better person to be around at weekends!
 Tall Clare 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

I'm currently doing a bit of work that requires a train journey of approx two hours at either end of the day, and for the weeks when I have to be there four days in a row I'm planning on staying over instead of doing that every day. My twin bro would do a 600 mile plus round trip in his car in a day rather than stay over away from his partner, mind.
 andy 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD: i'm working for myself now and one the big worries was leaving my lovely 12 mile 20 minutes in the car, 40 minutes on a bike commute.

I qm currenyly working on two contracts - 1 and 3 miles from home...

However when i'm talking to people about assignments i tend to say 2 or 3 nights away is ok, won't do 4. So if I was a couple of hours away i'd try and negotiate a day a week working from home and then do Monday and Wednesday nights away, come home Tuesday and work from home Friday.
 Neil Williams 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

By car ideally no more than an hour. By train 2.5 is about the most.

Long car journeys when you're tired are a massive risk. My company base office is 1.5hrs from home by car, 2.5 by train, and train costs twice as much. I decided to switch permanently to train after I very nearly caused a road accident on the way in one morning (avoided only by the sensible actions of the other driver involved) because I was tired/"autopiloting".

Neil
In reply to andy:

I'm currently doing a bi-weekly commute to Switzerland (was weekly) and I do Mon-Thurs, it makes a massive difference to how isolated you feel (and means that a bit of air travel disruption doesn't wreck your plans for the weekend).

Neil
In reply to EeeByGum:

"the Manchester to Liverpool trawl"

50 minutes by train.

Neil
 EeeByGum 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

> "the Manchester to Liverpool trawl"
>
> 50 minutes by train.

If only it were that simple. Unfortunately, I didn't live next to the station and my work was not located next to the station at the other end either.

Travel by train is only really useful if you can get to the stations at either end easily which is why public transport is only part of any transport network solution.
 Timmd 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:Somebody who I vaugely knew used to drive to Coventry and back each day from Sheffield which was 2 hrs each way, and she seemed happy enough, generally full of energy.

I think it was her dream job, a very motivated sort, she'd wear a wedding ring on her ring finger even though she wasn't married, presumably to help in dealing with some of the men she encountered at work.

I guess it helped that she was in her twenties.
 lynda 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD: I did glasgow to dundee (80 miles) and back again for 15 months
tried the bus (would take 6hrs in total) train was too expensive so I drove (2 hrs each way on a good day).

I was a wreck come Friday. I cried in relief on my last day.
 tlm 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

I always try to live close enough to cycle (so within 5 miles in my case!). I would rather have less money and less of a commute and I really am not that driven. I do appreciate my journey into work, especially when it snows, or the sky is blue and twinkling, or the evenings get lighter...

My friend stayed in a caravan, which let her have barbeques....
 Dax H 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD: Keep going the way you are, I would do exactly the same.
My daily commute is anything from a 8 min round trip to a 6 hour one, anything more than 3 hours round trip for more than a day = staying over in my book.
 Wingnut 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:
Currently doing Solihull to customer site in Telford and back on a daily basis, hating it, struggling with the petrol costs and actively seeking a new job.

(The frustrating bit is that I live within easy walking distance of the office I'm contractually based at.)
 antdav 07 Feb 2013
I'm a contractor and last gig was 60 miles away and probably 3-4 hours driving a day. I lasted 2 weeks of getting in the car by 6 to miss the traffic. It was awful for me, 13 hours a day used up, home, eat, sleep and repeat. Weekends were gone as I didn't have the energy to do anything.

Rented a room 4 nights, early finish on wednesday afternoon for a visit home and joined the local wall. Not the nicest lifestyle but at least you do something constructive and it's cheaper than petrol.

If it's more than an hours drive leaving at a reasonable time then it's lodging for me.
 Cheese Monkey 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD: This week I'm doing 90min each way, finishing at 9am this isnt fun. Weekend about an hour each way. Next week about 2 and a half hours. Next weekend 20mins. Week after, who knows!
Graeme G 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

I probably shouldn't comment as my commute is approximately 5 minutes. Usually don't dressed until 8.45am and get to the office easily before 9. Thinking i need a new job though as this one is pish.....but i'd have to commute at least 2 hours....don't think i could cope!
tianshanvirgin 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD: I travel from Rochdale to Stoke 5 times a week. It takes about 1hr 20 in a morning and generally 2 Hrs in an evening. Except Fridays, I hate friday rush hours, 3 hours wouldn't be unusual. I do occasionally get digs for an evening if feeling tired though.
Tony Simpson 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:
I used to commute from Sherwood Forest area to London on Tuesday and then back on a Thursday eve.

Hated it, time away from other half journey was a nightmare and 4 hours plus to get there and home during rush hour.

Also folks say its so easy to do things in London, you just jump on the tube. Well its not easy at all, I worked very bottom of Hempstead Heath, ok digs and food easy to find but the tube or traveling around the London area was just sh*t.

Glad I'm no longer doing it.
 Tony the Blade 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

I currently commute from Christchurch (Dorset) to Clapham (London), it is approx 2 hours door-to-door (Cycle-train-cycle) both ways.

I take two hours out of my working day and work on the train. It works for me as I get the best of both worlds - a job I really want to do and a life by the sea and New Forest.

It's easier for me as I'm the CEO so I sort of make the rules up Like tomorrow, I'm working from home as I don't have any meetings to attend.
 The New NickB 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

I would just hate anything more than half an hour, I have done hour plus commutes in the past and it is just not for me. I work a mile from home and will walk in to work if I dont need the car during the day.

I have the occasional meeting that means an early morning trip down to M62 or trains to Manchester (not so bad) or Leeds, which remind me that I really don't like it. I also do the odd working day in London, leave home a 5:30am maybe get home at 10.30pm, but at least I can usually relax on the train and it isn't often. Thankfully not personally paying the cost of the ticket.
 ThunderCat 07 Feb 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

I suddenly feel really lucky.

I used to live just under 11 minutes walk from the office - it literally wasn't worth getting in the car to get there.

Then I changed jobs and now it's about 7 - 8 miles away. I can cycle or drive it and either way it takes about 45 minutes (roads are slow at rush hour)

And I felt hard done by. I'll shut up.
 Philip 07 Feb 2013
22 miles, takes 30 mins on average. 50 mins on a bad day, 20 in a hurry :-s
 Andy Hay 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD: I've just resigned as my company wanted me to work 450 miles away for 2/3 years with only 1 wkend a month at home, my 1st child's only a month old & I would miss her growing up & not be able to help her develop. I applied for flexible working to get on a contract closer to home but they wouldn't have it saying there wasn't any which was all lies. so waying up the work life balance I resigned. The best of it is the company's losing men all the time & can't understand why & going to lose more. If I could've got on a contract closer home I'd of tried traveling to & from for a while to see how it went. I know what you mean about the motorways & often thought when staying away it's better to arrive home sometimes than never again! Do what you think's best mate, your call!
 Enty 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
> (In reply to New POD)
>
> I probably shouldn't comment as my commute is approximately 5 minutes. Usually don't dressed until 8.45am and get to the office easily before 9. Thinking i need a new job though as this one is pish.....but i'd have to commute at least 2 hours....don't think i could cope!

Me too. I genuinely feel incredibly lucky when I read threads like this.
My normal commute is 3 minutes including brushing teeth, 4 minutes if I need a pee - rises to about 8 minutes if I have to detour via the kitchen and wait for the kettle to get coffee.
If it's my turn to do the school run I have to take a 10 minute break at 8:50 and another 10 minute break at 4:25.

E

Tall Clare 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:

I'm normally in that camp - the 'two hours either way' work I'm currently doing is something of a shock to the system, but at least the work is enjoyable.
 blurty 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

I commute to Dublin, Glasgow, Amsterdam or Birmingham on a daily basis, big carbon footprint (which I'm not proud of) I work from home at least once per week though.

We've all just got to get by, the best we can.
 Timmd 07 Feb 2013
In reply to blurty:
> (In reply to New POD)

> We've all just got to get by, the best we can.

Very true.
 John_Hat 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

It's vastly dependent on the person. Some people find driving relaxing - me for instance - and hence 2 hours in a car is a chance to reflect, prioritise, I've got a learning German tape in the car, etc, I tend to arrive home in a good mood.

Others an hour in a car is a nightmare that it takes time to recover from. Horses for courses, however I feel that particular phrase is going out of fashion at speed...
 Mooncat 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

Done both extremes from 3 hour commute either end to a 5 minute walk, other than meetings in work I can mostly please myself within reason when I go in. The only pain in the butt is the occasional rush hour Liverpool to Manchester commute, having a motorbike keeps this reasonable though.

I don't think I'd ever commute more than 2 hours again though.
 AlasdairM 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD: I live in Edinburgh but do two days a fortnight in London. Up at 4:45 for the red-eye and I'm not normally in bed until midnight that night.
 Camm 07 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:
1 hour is the very max that I'd do, 20 minutes is long enough for me at the moment not much longer on bike although I once did it in 6 minutes when I was late for work haha. If I had to commute for 2 hours or so, I'd consider getting a stealth camper, especially if there's showers at work.
In reply to New POD:

> Just met 3 guys in the office who travel similar distances and can't understand why I choose not to go home every night to my wife.

Have they met your wife?

No more than an hour each way for me, life's too short.
In reply to New POD:

Long commutes are a tax on both your wallet and your life.

Commuted weekly for about a year until we moved house to be closer to work. Current commute is 15mins or so by bike or car. Wouldn't want to take on a job with much more than half an hour commute.

ALC
 Neil Williams 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Wingnut:

Why aren't you being paid mileage?

Neil
 mattrm 08 Feb 2013
In reply to New POD:

About an hour max. My first job involved a 2 hour drive to get to work, so I stayed over at a local B&B then. Ever since then I've either been getting the train or walking. Currently a 10 minute walk, which is lovely.
 Neil Williams 08 Feb 2013
In reply to mattrm:

I'd almost say 10 minutes wasn't enough to define the work-life split for me.

My ideal commute (which I used to have to a job I didn't really enjoy, now I have to do a lot more travelling to a job I enjoy much more, so swings and roundabouts) would be 30-45 minutes by bike.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...