UKC

Good place to buy female rucksack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John_Hat 11 Feb 2013
All,

Lady Blue is looking for a (decent) rucksack to take on a climbing holiday to spain in a few weeks. We've no idea where is a decent place to look, though.

Can people recommend a decent place (as in shop) to start looking, or even recommend a decent female-fit rucksack. Probably looking large enough to take a rope, quickdraws, and all clothes for a week or so.
Ruub 11 Feb 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
Try the Deuter range for female specific...also Mammut butterfly system on some of their packs...
 Skyfall 11 Feb 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

I'm a little confused by what you want. If you want the normal day sac for gear and clothes for a day out, I was going to suggest Deuter though some think they are a little overspecced and heavy. That or one of the smaller PODs like the Crag Sac - couldn't go wrong with that really.

If you want a much larger sac to literally take all her clothes for a week or so, then no idea. Not been back packing (which is what you're effectively talking about) for a very long time. On sports climbing trips I normally take a soft bag (North Face duffel as hold luggage) and a small'ish day sac as hand luggage (or even stuff it inside the main one).
OP John_Hat 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Much larger sack is what we are talking about, as in literally all her clothes for a week or so.

J
 gethin_allen 11 Feb 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
Most reasonable gear shops should have a couple of decent ladies fit sacks. Obviously you'd do better avoiding blacks and the like but Go outdoors stocks ladies models from osprey, and their stuff is normally good.
OP John_Hat 11 Feb 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:

OK, thanks:

So - Go Outdoors (Osprey) is a possibility.

and avoid Blacks.

Right, any others?
OP John_Hat 12 Feb 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

bump..
In reply to John_Hat: My other half searched for ages for a good fitting (in her case, a short back) female specific rucsac. She eventually bought a Osprey Mutant from Cotswold's in Betwys y Coed which she thinks is superb.

It surprised me slightly, but Cotswolds had a far, far bigger selection of rucsacs than any other store including the various local independents and the staff in the Betwys branch are easily as good as any other shop anywhere.
 GridNorth 12 Feb 2013
In reply to John_Hat: Are those of you who suggest avoiding Blacks aware that they now stock Mammut and Marmot gear?
 Null 12 Feb 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

Are you looking for a smart model, or just any old bag ?
 AlisonSmiles 12 Feb 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

I just did six weeks with a female fit Lowe Alpine Annapurna, approx 65l to 85l I think. Fitted tent, sleeping bag, cooking stuff, all that gubbins plus clothes and food well. First time I've had a bag I've not been shifting around buckles etc. trying to get it to comfy status. And no riding up of t-shirts at the back which was kind of heaven. Bear in mind I have narrow shoulders, wide hips and a longish back. It might not work for everyone. It doesn't have a lot of external attachment points either so if you're looking for something to dangle stuff on the outside of, it's not for you.
OP John_Hat 02 Mar 2013
In reply to various:

Thanks to all for help, We ended up with an Osprey Ariel.

Had a extensive look at the Lowe Alpine female fit ones, but sadly Lady Blue was one shape and the Lowe Alpine was another, and we coudn't get the two to meet and it was never comfortable for her. The Osprey fitted her more or less immediately, hence that's the one we went for.

Thanks for the advice all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...