UKC

Any speaker experts about syncing various speakers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 12 Feb 2013
Is there any way that I can sync speakers around my house so that they all play the same music?

An example would be speakers upstairs and downstairs blasting out my favourite tunes. At the moment I have one SONOS speaker connected to my Router and NAS box, a PC with good quality speakers and a sterio system with access to a Bluetooth adapter.

I could buy another SONOS speaker but they are exceptionally expensive so, that idea is out, but surely their has to be a way to sync my varying speaker outputs around the house?

Anybody cracked this nut?
OP The Lemming 12 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Any ideas on wireless speakers?

Cheers
 IainMacG 12 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Sonos is excellent but as you say not cheap.
However if you already have the hifi/speakers, then have you thought about just buying Sonos bridges which are much cheaper...?

Bridge if you have amp http://www.richersounds.com/product/multi-room-components/sonos/br100uk1/so...

If you only have speakers need the more expensive Connect which provides amp

Cheers
Iain
OP The Lemming 12 Feb 2013
In reply to IainMacG:

I have a bridge, but I don't think that it works in the way that you are suggesting. The Bridge sends the music to the SONOS speakers. As far as I can work out, the bridge only plugs into a Router.
 IainMacG 13 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Hmmm, probably getting mixed up between the Bridge and the Connect units.
There IS something they do that doesn't involve buying full speaker/player thang so is cheaper!
 LaMentalist 13 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

There is always a way Fuzzy One , what are the ratings of the speakers ? ( impedance ? usually rated in Ohms between 4 ~ 16 ) and the output rating ( watts ) RMS or AES preferably ? Do they have a sprung clamp or a binding post for the speaker cable or something else ?

And what about the amplifier ? how many speaker outputs ?

There should be a spec plate on the speakers some where . . .

you may find this useful , scroll down for some diagrams .

http://www.activebass.com/a42--Understanding-Basic-Electricity-of-your-Amp-...
 LaMentalist 13 Feb 2013
In reply to LaMentalist:

Disregard any thing I've written above Mr Lemming its not really relevant , I've just had a quick look at the Sonos site , will have another look now & get back to you with any suggestions shortly .. . apologies but I'm still stuck is the old school analogue ways . But I do have over ten thousand bits of vinyl to look after .... 80S
 IainMacG 13 Feb 2013
In reply to IainMacG:
Forgive my confusion about Bridge vs Connnect units above - you need Connect units for both my scenarios.
See http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=27393

Where you already have amp + speakers you would need basic CONNECT (ex ZP90) - about £279 at John Lewis. Not Bridge as I said before - quite right.
Where you have speakers only you would need CONNECT:AMP (ex ZP120). More £££ ...

Unless someone knows of a much cleverererer (and cheaper) way.
But the Sonos system works really well - we have three rooms now working on the system and it's awesome.
OP The Lemming 13 Feb 2013
In reply to IainMacG:

> Unless someone knows of a much cleverererer (and cheaper) way.
> But the Sonos system works really well - we have three rooms now working on the system and it's awesome.

SONOS is the dogs danglies as it is so simple that an idiot like me can set it up in minutes. But it is feking expensive for what it is.

When you cut to the chase, SONOS is a speaker system that has wireless capabilities and very good software. So why can't I find a wireless system other than Bluetooth, which is a one trick pony, or SONOS that plays music everywhere?

Surely there has to be a way, even using a Raspberry Pi as the link between the chosen speaker and my music?

But as yet I can't find anything. Open to ideas.
OP The Lemming 13 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Any squeezebox users here?

I've been doing a little reading and it may be possible to get squeezebox software onto my PC and Android devices and get them to work like SONOS.

I'm sure it can't be as simple as that?
 sammycolon 14 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: My mate uses Raspberry Pi as a media server says it works fab!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...