UKC

Cramp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Had a great walk over Black Hill and one or two other spots in the Dark Peak yesterday and after about 10km of reasonably hard walking over very unpleasant terrain (tussocky/boggy/ice/snow) I got a really bad cramp in my left thigh/groan area. It was so painful it stopped me in my tracks. I managed to walk through it in the end although there was always a dull throb and threat of a return if I had to really stretch for a step.

This happens to me every time I go for a decent length walk with cramps in my thighs, hamstrings or calves. I'm generally fit otherwise so there must be something else at play.

What could be the reason and how can it be avoided?

Thanks

Richard
 imkevinmc 17 Feb 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: electrolyte in my water supply cured the cramp problem.
What do you drink on a walk
 yeti 17 Feb 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

for me it's usualy over exertion or dehydration that brings it on or...

too much salt on last nights chips, so drink plenty, try tonic water (something about the quinnine in it) seems to help, i think for me it's mostly about getting a level salt intake cos i only ever put salt on chips
 Milesy 17 Feb 2013
I dont get enough salt as I cook everything without it. After a long hill day I can plaster my chips in salt and it is amazing.
 Roguevfr 17 Feb 2013
In me it's usually in the quads above my knees . don't know what brings it on specifically, but instant relief comes in the shape of one of those small salt packs one finds in macdonalds .
richyfenn 17 Feb 2013

Drink plenty of fluids. Some tonic water can help and apparently so can a banana (potassium).
In reply to imkevinmc:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) electrolyte in my water supply cured the cramp problem.
> What do you drink on a walk

I tend to drink water and this time I also took some Chicken Bovril in a flask which was consumed regularly so plenty of salt in that, I think. I do sweat a lot, especially on my back.

redsonja 17 Feb 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: i eat a banana each morning and rarely get cramp now. if i dont eat any for a while i often get quite bad cramps
 Brass Nipples 17 Feb 2013

Is you sweat a lot, then you are almost certainly wearing too much when walking. Try wearing less warm layers when moving, only putting on a warmer layer when stopped.
 Robert Durran 17 Feb 2013

I suffer from agonising and debilitating thigh cramps after hard days (usually up to 2 hours afterwards, especially if I am inactive such as in a car or bivvy). I have tried everything and would kill for a reliable way of avoiding it. Drink lots preferably with electrolytes. Tonic water. Preemptive stretching and vigourous massaging seems to help. Apparently it is a lack of Potassium and Magnesium rather than Sodium which is the problem (though I think some salt can help fluid take up); I take magnesium and potassium aspartate capsules. Mine are by a company called "Now" and can be ordered online.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...