UKC

Effect of the inversion on routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chaser 17 Feb 2013
I'm looking to get out to do some easy gullies in Lochaber tomorrow if possible. Based on people's experience, is it likely the overnight frost forecast will firm up the snow enough to make easy gullies safe tomorrow? Temps of 2 to 6 degrees at 900m aren't promising, but the forecast is amazing nd i don't want to miss an opportunity.
 Jamie Hageman 17 Feb 2013
In reply to chaser: The cold night will make the easy shaded gullies superb. Felt like April/May today
 Michael Gordon 17 Feb 2013
In reply to chaser:

Be careful on the approach slopes.

http://www.scottishwinter.com/?p=3538
 Jamie B 17 Feb 2013
In reply to chaser:

Based on what I've seen I'd be surprised if approach slopes were a concern, but droopy cornices might be...
 Michael Gordon 17 Feb 2013
In reply to chaser:

Sorry, I read your post as Lochnagar.
 Mike Pescod 19 Feb 2013
In reply to chaser: All the snow is solid, well frozen and there is very little hazard of cornice collapse. You just need to be slightly wary of snow slopes and cornices in the sunshine.

In the shade, the snow stays well frozen even when it is plus 5 celcius. The ice was bone dry today and the snow very well frozen. Even in the sun it was not softening much. This is due to the over night frost and also the very dry air drawing moisture out of the snow and cooling it down as the moisture evaporates.

Enjoy the sunshine. It's brilliant just now.

Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...