UKC

Ski Touring Boots Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ams558 12 Mar 2013
I currently have Scarpa Typhoons which I use as my piste, off piste and touring boot; but I want to buy a proper touring boot that I can use for longer days and multi-day tours and also climb low grade routes in when conditions are right.

I looked at the Scarpa Maestrales and they looked really good, but how do they compare to the Maestrale RS? The RS looks as though I will enjoy the downhill more as they are a bit stiffer, but has anyone used these, are they good for multi-day tours and has anyone climbed in them? For an out and out touring/winter climbing boot would people recommend the Maestrale or the RS version?

Thanks,

Alex
moffatross 12 Mar 2013
In reply to ams558:

Don't assume different model Scarpa shells and last are the same interior shape for an identical inside shell length. The Maestrale RS's are narrower than my old Spirits and you may need to do a bit of fiddling to get them right if the Typhoon is similarly different.

More here ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98217
macstinator 12 Mar 2013
In reply to ams558:
AT Boot Comparative Flex

The list has been (un-scientifically) compiled by:

a) Posters' input comparing their stiffest AT/Freeride boots' flex (Endorphins, Tornado, Aero Freeride) against their alpine boot. A single alpine boot brand's flex range (in this case, Salomon) makes for better comparability in contrast to mixing flex ranges from Lange, Tecnica or Nordica.

b) Once the stiffest AT/Freeride boots flex ratings have been established, the ratings of the softer AT boots were established down the flex range fine-tuning up or down according to, again, posters' input.

Alpine boots used for comparison

140 - Lange 140 RS
100 - Salomon X-Wave 9
95 - Salomon Gun
90 - Salomon X-Wave

THE LIST (stiffest ---> softest) as of March 10, 2013
-------------------------------------------------------------------

130 - Dynafit Vulcan, Tecnica Cochise Pro 130

120 - Scarpa Mobe, Tecnica Cochise Pro 120

100 - Scarpa Maestrale RS, Dynafit Mercury, Tecnica Cochise Light 120, Black Diamond Factor, Dynafit Titan, Titan UL, Scarpa Hurricane

95 - Scarpa Typhoon/Skookum (stiff tongue), Garmont Endorphin, Garmont Axon

90 - Dynafit TLT5 Performance, Dynafit One PX, Black Diamond Quadrant, Garmont Radium, Dynafit ZZeus, Dynafit Aero Freeride (4-buckle)

85 - Scarpa Maestrale, Scarpa Tornado/Pro (black tongue), Dynafit TLT5 Mountain, Scarpa Spirit 4 (black stiffer tongue), Garmont Adrenaline, Dynafit Zzero ("Green Machine") CF 4-buckle, Black Diamond Method, Salomon Ellipse e2

80 - Scarpa Denali XT/TT, Scarpa Spirit 4 (green softer tongue), Lowa Struktura Rodeo/Pro, Dynafit Zzero PX 4-buckle

75 - Scarpa Rush, Scarpa Spirit 3, Garmont Megaride/G-Ride, Lowa Struktura Evo, Dynafit Aero Speed (3-buckle), Dynafit Zzero CF 3-buckle

70 - Scarpa Matrix, , Old Scarpa Denali (4-buckle red shell), Dynafit TLT 700

60 - Scarpa Laser, Garmont Dynamite, Dynafit TLT 500 (2-buckle + strap), Scarpa F3

50 - Scarpa F1, Garmont Megalite, Dynafit TLT 4 Evo (3-buckle), Dynafit TLT 4 Lite (2-buckle + strap), Dynafit Zzero 2C

40 - Scarpa F1 Race (2-buckle, no strap), Dynafit TLT Race Pro (1-buckle + strap)
macstinator 12 Mar 2013
In reply to macstinator:

The above has been whipped from TGR. Bloody useful though!
 Morgan Woods 13 Mar 2013
In reply to macstinator: I'm surprised the vulcans score so highly compared,to the titans.
 Ben Briggs 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods: me too I have some 130 pros and have tried the Vulcan although its very stiff for its weight I thought it was a lot softer than the 130, probably about 110/120 . Would agree with most of that list though.
 Si 13 Mar 2013
In reply to ams558: I bought Maestrale RS this season. I love them. Have done multiple days skinning and they seem good and also a bit of alpinism same same.
 NickBrown 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ams558:

In my opinion for multi day touring and climbing lighter is always better, as you spend the vast majority of the time going uphill. And if you already own a pair of stiff and heavy boots for off-piste and short days it might be good to complement it with a lighter boot for the longer uphill days. Unless extreme freeride is your thing I tend to think the current trend for very stiff (and thus often heavy) touring boots is overkill.

I have a pair of Dynafit TLT5 Mountain's that are absolutely fantastic. I couldn't recommend them more. Almost ridiculously light that the uphills feel light cheating, yet close fitting (enough to actually be good for climbing in) and surprisingly stiff that the downs are usually fun too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...