UKC

Rear mounted childs bike seat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 18 Mar 2013
Morning all,
our daughter has grown out of her front mounted childs seat so looking for a rear mounted one.
She is about 2 and a half stone, so I was considering the Hamax Siesta:

http://www.hamax.com/Child-bike-seats/Child-bike-seat-with-sleeping-functio...

Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Cheers folks, Den
 Dave Todd 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

Our 2 kids got on very well with a Co-Pilot Taxi for a couple of years. Simple and robust, rack mounted (the rack was supplied with ours) so you'd need to ensure that you could fit it to your bike.

Cheers

Dave
OP Denni 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave Todd:

Thanks Dave,
can't fit a rack on the back of my bike due to the brakes but cheers for the reply.
Den
 Monk 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

I can't remember which one I have (I got it second hand for a fiver), but it looks like an older version of the one in your link. My advice, if you intend to use it for longer rides, is to perhaps try it at the shop. My daughter loves the seat, but no matter how I adjust it my heels would bump her foot rests if I didn't use the middle of my foot to pedal instead of the ball. I'm guessing this might be more of an issue with the geometry of my bike than the seat - even set as high an das far back as possible, it is far lower and further towards the saddle than the one in your link. To be honest though, I only cycle about a mile to nursery each day with her on, so I'm happy with it.
 TobyA 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni: We had two of the basic Hamax ones - look just like your link but without the tilt function. They were absolutely fine and the kids used them a fair amount before being big enough to ride themselves. I was always a bit scared getting on and off once one of the boys was in the seat, if you lean the bike against a wall for example whilst doing this, make sure the kid's fingers are in the chair - not on the hand grip so they don't get caught. Both or ours are now in use with friends who have younger kids, so they last well.
 nniff 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

We used a Hamax one too - although a lot older. As the kids get bigger, you need to be careful of where the centre of gravity of the bike is when there's a kid in the seat - as soon as it moves close to the back axle you need to be really careful that it doesn't tip up when you're getting on and off. The variables are bike geometry, seat position, weight of kid, movement of kid and slope on which bike is standing.
Jimbo W 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:
> Morning all,
> our daughter has grown out of her front mounted childs seat so looking for a rear mounted one.
> She is about 2 and a half stone, so I was considering the Hamax Siesta:
>
> http://www.hamax.com/Child-bike-seats/Child-bike-seat-with-s...
>
> Does anyone have any other recommendations?
> Cheers folks, Den

I can tell you that the Siesta works great for us - and our son asks almost daily if he can have a ride somewhere on it.. ..so I think he likes it too! Its certainly comfortable enough for him to fall asleep in and the quick release makes it easy to pop on and off when I get to work. Its quite bulky which makes carrying it through the revolving doors at work a pain in the backside, and its quite bulky to store (I've ended up hanging it on coat hooks to get it off the floor and out the way at work).

OP Denni 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:

Hi folks,
thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. As some of you have said,the balance is affected so will keep an eye out on that and of course Daisy's fingers!

Managed to pop to Halfords who put on on my bike to see if I liked it which ws nice of them. Looks great and I'd always thought that they looked unstable and I suppose my worry would be that it simply fell off the back!
(been re-assured it won't!)

Looks like the Hamax is what we are after so cheers again. Den
 FrankBooth 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:
We had a Decathlon one - lasted our four kids and then got handed on to friends. Decathlon are very good for this sort of thing - they take a very functional approach to design and better value IMO than Halfords
 Tricky Dicky 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni: To be honest I wouldn't bother getting the siesta. I've got one for my son and the 'sleep adjust function' is pants. Everything else is great, so for my daughter we just a normal hamax seat without the 'sleep adjust function'.

If your heels hit the childs feet you can try sliding it further back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...