UKC

Winter ethics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 29 Mar 2013
A friend of mine climbed two grooves yesterday then uploaded this picture.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151310982955807&set=a.4223978...

Thoughts? I've tried to teach him about ethics before and when stuff is in nick or not. He spat his dummy when i told him this time.
 top cat 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299:

maybe depends on how much of the rest of the route was fair game?
If it was all like the photo, well, it speaks for itself.
 martinph78 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299:

> Thoughts?

You've probably just lost a friend.

Simon_Sheff 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299:

That's a joke, what a pair of prats
OP goose299 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Martin1978:
Ha he already deleted me off fb when I started commenting saying how it wasn't in nick and he's basically tooling the route
 martinph78 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299: Ouch!

:p
 David Barratt 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299: Has part of the rope been photoshopped out???
OP goose299 29 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
Not that I'm aware of. Does look like it though. Maybe it goes behind a flake. Not done the route so wouldn't know
In reply to goose299:
> I've tried to teach him....
Hmmmm......I think this reflects worse on you than on him!
There is not much worse in a friendship than someone getting all high and mighty about something. Live and let live.
 David Barratt 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299: Ah yes, that makes more sence. I've not dry tooled before, but is this just a question of the ethics of drytooling? or is it one of saftey?
 Roberttaylor 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299: Photoshopped troll, abandon thread.
OP goose299 29 Mar 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
o.k, maybe teach isn't the right word. more pass on knowledge
OP goose299 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Roberttaylor:
oh p*ss off
 Andrew Wilson 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299:
Does not look much different ( what I can actually see) from the photo of Dom donnini in the guidebook on the first ascent.
If I was him I would have deleted you too, the ultimate sanction!

Radioactiveman 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299:

Given that 2 grooves is a mixed route that doesnt get plastered and isnt a summer line the facebook picture in isolation without a picture of the whole route makes it look worse than it actually is I think. There are no turf,alpine plants to damage on the part of the top pitch that they are on. I would be more upset at people tramping up the easier gullies out of condition throwing turf behind them etc

Sat having a brew after getting back off the hill with the guidebook in my hand and I would suggest it is in similar condition to the picture in the lakes winter guide tbh. Not meant to be provocative but having climbed the route and seen it a couple of times this year I thought it reasonable to pass on my opinion. You need to know the route and see it to make a true judgement rather than one part of the route.

gilliesp 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299: Interesting to note absence of axes and crampons on this 'summer' route. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUOrZ1uz51s&NR=1

(John Cunningham and Creagh Dhu climbing The Cobbler in 1978 on Recess Route, climbing a summer route in snowy conditions. Taken from the TV series 'Mountain Days').

I daresay your hitherto pal? was on a more taxing route for which drytooling was maybe the objective. You don't name the route... This sensitive? information could be a more contentious issue...
 Petarghh 29 Mar 2013
In reply to top cat:
> (In reply to goose299)
>
> maybe depends on how much of the rest of the route was fair game?
> If it was all like the photo, well, it speaks for itself.

Not much at all. Climbed there today and it was obviously out of nick. Shame when other routes were in prime condition.

Seems like a case of setting out for an objective no matter what !
 Doghouse 29 Mar 2013
> (In reply to goose299) Photoshopped troll, abandon thread.

Is there some kind of prize to be the first person to shout "troll" on this forum? - pathetic!
 Roberttaylor 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Doghouse: If you can solve the mystery of the vanishing ropes for us that would be much appreciated.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/3e93548b9e2a41df4f0bee357fe227b3/tumblr_miy3ksoy...
 mbambi 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Roberttaylor: Look at the next photo, it shows the same type of thing, seems likely that the ropes go behind and to the side of a rock feature.
Simon_Sheff 29 Mar 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to goose299)
> [...]
> Hmmmm......I think this reflects worse on you than on him!
> There is not much worse in a friendship than someone getting all high and mighty about something. Live and let live.

That's not what was said when someone was tooling at Millstone, was it?
Just cause its not a Peak Crag doesn't change the fact it's ridiculous.
 Roberttaylor 29 Mar 2013
In reply to mbambi: The evidence seems to indicate that is is real, wishful thinking on my part that it was otherwise?

To the OP: My apologies for the false accusation. Try being more polite online, it may help you retain friends offline while still disagreeing with them (hard to do when it is such an emotive subject, I know).

R
 Hannes 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299: well it certainly isn't in winter conditions but then getting your mate lynched on UKC, I'm not sure what to think of this whole thing to be honest.
 JanBella 29 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299: picture of two grooves route in the lakes guide looks exactly same to me. Brown cove had fair amount of ice and snow on yesterday. It's a mixed route and everybody is happy to climb stuff like this in scotland so why not lakes? grow up it's just a rock.
 Petarghh 29 Mar 2013
In reply to JanBella: there was snow around those routes on Millstone when it was "tooled" so how is this different ?
 JanBella 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Petarghh: it's not
 Doghouse 29 Mar 2013
> (In reply to Doghouse) If you can solve the mystery of the vanishing ropes for us that would be much appreciated.
>

Just zoom the picture and it's obvious the ropes disappear behind the rock.
ice.solo 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:

hey you!! we will have none of your actual experience and and real-life knowledge of the route ruining an otherwise good witch-burning!

get your pitchfork and hood and join the mob while winter still lasts, before have to back to burning boulderers in the summer.
 KellyKettle 29 Mar 2013
> (In reply to mbambi)(hard to do when it is such an emotive subject, I know).

Sure ethics are important, but they're not worth losing a friend over, not even close! (Something which *assuming a polite exchange*; reflects badly on the OP's friend and their reaction... A friend can deal with being told they're wrong, even if they disagree).
 Lew13 30 Mar 2013
 JanBella 30 Mar 2013
In reply to Stewy12: no it doesn't, but do you really think that 1cm of plastered snow makes any difference? I mean come on if you try to place you axe in that it will go straight through and to the rock.
 mark turnbull 30 Mar 2013
In reply to Stewy12:
Looks like cold aid climbing to me
 Ianto Bach 30 Mar 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
There's a problem here. Some of these boulderers are out there, shirt off, when it's - 5 & snow all around. Then, the toolers are extending their playtime with their shiny tools and hardshells well into British Summer Time. How's a narrow minded lynch mob member to know what to do! Can't we have some formal seasons for lynching activities? Heaven forbid (if there is such a place, but that's a whole new Easter thread) the mob will have to think for themselves...

I
 Lew13 30 Mar 2013
In reply to JanBella:

Probably not, but aesthetically it actually looks like a winter route and no doubt it would feel like one. The OP's picture, IMHO does not look like a route being climbed in condition but I guess we can't tell without being there, right?
Srick 30 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299:

I'm confused. Why do people care so much that they've used tools on a bit of rock?
 Lew13 30 Mar 2013
In reply to RichardAWatson:

Given that your a new user & don't list winter climbing on your profile I'll refrain from shouting troll.

In short no hoar/rime/verglas means the rock is going to be damaged more so. Surely on bare rock it would be easier without tools anyway?
 KellyKettle 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Stewy12:
> Surely on bare rock it would be easier without tools anyway?

I'd assume that depends on the person and the route...

I do get a feeling that the strident nature of opposition to tooling and climbing in lean conditions, is more that it represents the thin end of the wedge than that it's always intrinsically bad.

On "soft", loosely bonded or flaky rock types, I can understand that just like placing pegs, lots and lots of people hooking and torquing axes in the same spots could cause significant erosion and scar formation, but I wouldn't think that was universally applicable, after all I sharpen all of my tools on natural stones and they don't experience any significant wear...

However, adding another (rather byzantine) variable to the "is it a good idea to climb this right now" equation; risks giving people who lack all the information the impression that it's ok to use tools all the time, everywhere... leading to an increase in inappropriate use of them and eventually damage to crags. Hence the blanket opposition.
 Jamie B 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Stewy12:

> In short no hoar/rime/verglas means the rock is going to be damaged more so.

Not really, the above aren't substantial enough to "protect" rock from scratching. If anything people are more likely to place their feet carefully and avoid pedalling about if the rock is clear.

Not a defence, just an observation..
Srick 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Stewy12:

Thanks for not crying troll! Often said to much on this site.

I do winter climbing, but admittedly I've never experienced mixed climbing, and generally only second up to grade 2, 3 at a push. Still got a lot to learn, hence the question! thanks for the clarification.
 TobyA 31 Mar 2013
In reply to RichardAWatson:

> Thanks for not crying troll! Often said to much on this site.

But listen to Jamie, not Stewy. Hoar and snow on rock does not protect it in anyway from scratches, indeed the opposite - if you can see bare rock you can pick a foot hold and put your crampon points on it, just like you would in summer with a rock boot. When covered in hoar to tend to scrape around desperate to find something that your front points will catch on.
 Alex Slipchuk 31 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA: look at any of the great ridges in summer, a lot of route finding involves following the scratches
 xplorer 31 Mar 2013
In reply to goose299:

Give it a rest!
 Exile 31 Mar 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...