UKC

What size trail shoes should I buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NickD 04 Apr 2013
Hi running nerds.

I think I may have persuaded the Domestic Committee that I can buy my first pair of trail running shoes. I was thinking of getting some Inov8s because they're pretty and they go with my eyes.

What size shoe should I get, relative to my "proper" shoe size? Do I size them up or down? Or literally just buy my literal shoe size size?

Thanks!
 Banned User 77 04 Apr 2013
In reply to NickD: Depends on the sizing.. for standard distance I wear normal size.. depending on the shoe. but a normal fit.. I'll go half a size bigger sometimes for ultra's..
OP NickD 04 Apr 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Thanks Iain!
 Dauphin 04 Apr 2013
In reply to NickD:

Inov8 are a bit funny in sizing - they seem to change in each type of shoe - although a lot less than a few years ago. I'd definitely try them on first. They may be pretty but have a tendency to wear out at the heel PDQ and cause blisters for a couple of weeks after around a month of wearing them. Weird.

D
 yorkshireman 04 Apr 2013
In reply to Dauphin:
> (In reply to NickD)
>
> Inov8 are a bit funny in sizing - they seem to change in each type of shoe

You can't trust any shoe manufacturer as sizing seems to fluctuate a lot across, and even within brands.

Like Iain said, get something that fits well (which means trying on, and ideally running a bit, in a pair) and for long distances go a little bigger.
OP NickD 04 Apr 2013
Thanks guys - that's useful.
 The New NickB 04 Apr 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:
> (In reply to Dauphin)
> [...]
>
> You can't trust any shoe manufacturer as sizing seems to fluctuate a lot across, and even within brands.
>
I have Adidas shoes in three different sizes, they all fit.
 StefanB 04 Apr 2013
In reply to NickD:

I wear the same size in any running shoes, trail or road. I think many people wear shoes too short which why they get black toe nails in ultras. Often, if shoes are wide, people slide around and think they need a smaller size, but they really just need a better fit.
OP NickD 05 Apr 2013
In reply to StefanB: I was planning to buy them two sizes down, like rock shoes. Sure glad I checked with you guys.
 tony 05 Apr 2013
In reply to NickD:
> (In reply to Steff) I was planning to buy them two sizes down, like rock shoes. Sure glad I checked with you guys.

I hope you're planning to actually try them on before you buy. Trail shoes do come in lots of different shapes, even from the same manufacturers, and sizing does appear to be a bit random. Buying without trying could be a really bad idea.
 StefanB 05 Apr 2013
In reply to tony:

> I hope you're planning to actually try them on before you buy. Trail shoes do come in lots of different shapes, even from the same manufacturers, and sizing does appear to be a bit random. Buying without trying could be a really bad idea.

Yes, what I meant to say above was I buy the same fit for any trainer, i.e. I don't make a difference for trail, road, ultra, etc. Sizes, as in numbers are relative.

The point about width is important though. Many people buy shoes to short, in order not to slide around, but what they really need is a better fit for their foot in terms of width.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...