UKC

Summer Peak UKC meet/booze-up/gritfest/campathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 12 Apr 2013
An off hand comment elsewhere I made has turned slightly viral and there is much interest for a centrally based meet in summer. I propose a meet in the Peak, camping at North Lees. Early days I know but folks have to get dates in their diary.
Peak based means everyone is catered for with grit routes of all grades within easy access, bouldering too with Burbage and Plantation mere minutes away. Sport is down the road at Horseshit <sorry - shoe> and limestone trad down the river at Stoney, High Tor, Wildcat etc. Great walking to be found in any direction and pubs and shops down the road at Hathersage.
Although Mrs W doesn't climb I expect she'll want to come too just to banter the climbers so bring partners/wifes/husbands/slaves if too they want to get away for the weekend and meet new people and have a laugh.
I propose Friday 28th June to Monday 1st July. I realise many folks would only be able to do the Sat & Sun but thats no problem. All 4 days or just 1 day, you decide, I'll be there for all 4.
If I can get some numbers over the next week or so I'll contact North Lees and prime them up. They may need us 'picnicers' to book their pitch directly but I'm sure this won't be a problem for anyone.
Don't worry about grades, I'm sure we can pair up like for like on the day at the crag and if this turns out to be highly populated 15+ say we should consider splitting up rather than all crowding the same areas. Those tw*ts at UKC hate that sort of thing and they'll be slagging us off for weeks...
 Conf#2 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Ah a few weeks later and I'd be along. But have a guddun!
 Offwidth 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

North Lees tends to be prety rammed in summer... why not a quieter venue with less effect on normal visitors??
 Ava Adore 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I'm in but day trippin' rather than camping.

I say let's take over Lawrencefield for the day and put up topropes EVERYWHERE.
 Conf#2 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

If that's the plan I'll fly home for the day
 Ava Adore 12 Apr 2013
In reply to confusicating:

That is SO the plan
 Puppythedog 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: Bugger, no can do I'm booked all weekends in June I think. Oh well. I'll keep an eye on the thread in case my plans change.
 Tall Clare 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Fair point - is there a site that will take a block booking (and that will also take dogs?)
OP wilkie14c 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Eric Byne or coopers field at Edale? July is pretty rammed for us and.WW2 are on the USA most of Aug
OP wilkie14c 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: ww2? Stupid phone, WE that should read
 Tall Clare 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I have consulted. I am up for a meet, and I will be bringing not only Lotta the evil pointer, but Mr TC too. Apparently.
 xplorer 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I'd love to get involved!!!!
 David Riley 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Me too.
 dasc 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: I would be interested in getting to this.
OP wilkie14c 12 Apr 2013
In reply to dasc: great stuff, all welcome, mad dogs and all!
 tlm 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to dasc) great stuff, all welcome, mad dogs and all!

That's no way to talk about tall clare!

Duncan Bourne 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
Definitely interested.
Looking forward to it
 xplorer 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Lets do two weeks in the PD, a month in the lakes, and the rest of the year in Scotland.

Could end up being fun...........

Haha
 ranger*goy 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I'll pencil it in and check at work tomorrow.
 Conf#2 13 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Had a priorities change and I'm in.

dave frost 14 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: I'll come along.

Cheers
Dave
OP wilkie14c 14 Apr 2013
In reply to dave frost:
> (In reply to blanchie14c) I'll come along.
>
Hi Dave, keep an eye on this thread in a week or so where I'll be asking for deffo yes/no and approx numbers, solo or with partners etc. The campsite is under discussion but until we are a group and know what kind of numbers we are, there isn't much to debate just yet. I've created a facebook 'event' but can't post a link here just yet, I'm at work and FB is blocked. There are at least a dozen up for this so far and with good weather it'll be a great weekend of climbing and having a laugh

Steve nevers 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I'd be keen to get involved in this.
 dasc 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
I've created a facebook 'event' but can't post a link here just yet, I'm at work and FB is blocked.
Would it be possible to keep this topic live on here also?,as I don't do Facebook.
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to dasc: Yes mate, not a problem and my intention anyway. It'll be updated as and when there is any news and everyone who has expressed an interest with get an email bringing any updates to your attention. Looking forward to it already! :-D
Everyone, please feel free to use this thread for a campsite discussion.
Our choices are:
1- North Lees - Handy for Stanage, bit of a hike to Hathersage if going to the pub.
2- Coopers @ Edale - handy for the pub, 15 min drive at least from Stanage but perfect for Kinder grit? Campsite can get rowdy.
3- Eric Bynes - handy for Birchen <walking distance> and the Robin hood pub but a bit out of the way from shops etc. Site is basic.
4- The one Blue Straggler has suggested, I've never been so can't comment.
5- Any other one you know of.
 Ava Adore 15 Apr 2013
In reply to dasc:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
> I've created a facebook 'event' but can't post a link here just yet, I'm at work and FB is blocked.
> Would it be possible to keep this topic live on here also?,as I don't do Facebook.

Only problem I foresee is that people would have to be friends with you and/or Blanchie to be kept updated.
 Alyson 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: Well as I said on t'other thread I can't climb at the moment, but it's local to me and it would be nice to pop along and meet some new people.
 John Lewis 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: Count me in but I probably travel as I live close enough.
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
Don't you worry, I'll keep everyone updated on this thread
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to blanchie14c) Well as I said on t'other thread I can't climb at the moment, but it's local to me and it would be nice to pop along and meet some new people.

Yea do it! you injured ATM?? It'd be good to see you anyway even if you can't climb. BBQ and beer far more important than climbing anyway!
In reply to blanchie14c: She got kicked in the stomach recently!
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to John Lewis:
> (In reply to blanchie14c) Count me in but I probably travel as I live close enough.

Yea thats cool John, the more the merrier!

People, we have another campsite option to consider. The big one at Birchover. Ok, not as close to the crags as other mentioned but it'd swallow 20 or 30 of us without any problem at all. Within walking distance is a shop and 2 pubs. Red lion and the druid inn. Cratcliffe is 5 mins away, eastern grit and matlock limestone both 30 mins away, dovedale is perhaps 45 mins plus walking time. Matlock and Bakewell both 15 mins away. There is also a camping barn/hut there if you can't be arsed to bring a tent! This site does get busy although room shouldn't be a problem.
http://barnfarmcamping.com/
 Blue Straggler 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I don't think Alyson can climb OR drink at the moment!

"The one I suggested" was Hardhurst.
In reply to blanchie14c:

We posted at the same time. Birchover is the obvious choice, I forgot all about it. Maybe I can try a headpoint of Suicide Wall as a single pitch. Will wear a nappy in prep for the top half
In reply to blanchie14c:

Birchover is evil though, the bacon butty van has its pitch between the tents and the bogs so you can't go for morning ablutions without being challenged to resist the waft of lovely pig shavings frying in the summer breeze.....mmmm is it lunchtime yet?
 Alyson 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
>
> I don't think Alyson can climb OR drink at the moment!

This is so true, I'm going to be no fun at all! However I do a great line in well-timed abuse... sorry, encouragement... when people are floundering at a crux, and it's important that Futurebaby learns a good vocabulary
 Alyson 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Alyson)
> [...]
>
> Yea do it! you injured ATM?? It'd be good to see you anyway even if you can't climb. BBQ and beer far more important than climbing anyway!

I'm pregnant which is like being injured but with more people getting cross with me if I do something daring like lift a box.
 deepsoup 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
Like some of the other 'locals' I'll most likely pop along to say hello, may even attempt to climb something but won't be camping. It'll be nice to meet folk.

> 3- Eric Bynes - handy for Birchen <walking distance> and the Robin hood pub but a bit out of the way from shops etc. Site is basic.

I'm guessing this has been dismissed now anyway, but a quick heads up in case - the Robin Hood is a pretty poor pub these days.

Probably a silly suggestion, but there is often (very basic) camping unofficially available to boozers at the Three Stags Heads at Wardlow. It's a *wonderful* little pub to drink in. (Unless you're a lager drinker: http://www.whitebeertravels.co.uk/images/3stags_nokeg.jpg )
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
>
> We posted at the same time. Birchover is the obvious choice, I forgot all about it. Maybe I can try a headpoint of Suicide Wall as a single pitch. Will wear a nappy in prep for the top half

And when that fails you can give me a shout off the subs bench
 Offwidth 15 Apr 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

I'd say the Robin Hood has improved in some respects as the miserable landlord has gone. It was only ever OK for food or beer but a good group venue as it has a hikers bar. The Three Stags is a bonkers choice for ordinary UKC folk... very much an aquired taste.
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Alyson: preggers! Many congrats to you, must have missed an anouncement eh. I'm sure there will be folks off to crags with very easy access so you can tag along and picnic. You aren't likely to pop while on the meet are you? My midwifery skills are a bit rusty!
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
>
> Birchover is evil though, the bacon butty van has its pitch between the tents and the bogs so you can't go for morning ablutions without being challenged to resist the waft of lovely pig shavings frying in the summer breeze.....mmmm is it lunchtime yet?

Yes, in my experience it is a busy site and likely to be host to drunken dads vs lasses footy matches, dance music and lots of beer swilling. that said, I've never had any problems there but it could be a little loud at night

deepsoup 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> The Three Stags is a bonkers choice for ordinary UKC folk... very much an aquired taste.

There are no "ordinary" UKC folk!
But yes, no doubt you're right.
In reply to blanchie14c: gutted. Got a lot going on in June, getting wed and moving. Have a drink for me.
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> Yes, in my experience it is a busy site and likely to be host to drunken dads vs lasses footy matches, dance music and lots of beer swilling.

I only meant "evil" as a tongue in cheek comment re: bacon
Only had good experiences there but I know what you mean. Their overspill field is huge, could ask specifically to be put there. I don;t think late night noise will be that much of an issue, the UKC lot will be up talking crap into the small hours anyway
 Alyson 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: I'll be 7 and a bit months so I think we're pretty safe, but maybe have some hot water and towels on standby
 SGD 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: I've used a campsite behind the travellers rest on the hope road a few times. It's always been ok with the main downside being the proximity to the railway. The pub is ok and there is a cafe onsite (open weekends only I think). Hathersage is 5 minutes up the road, Bamford is about the closest crag, maybe 10 minutes drive??
 Ava Adore 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> Don't you worry, I'll keep everyone updated on this thread

Thank you
 Gazlynn 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I'm up for the cup that weekend.

cheers

Gaz
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Gazlynn: Cool. You know, survey monkey was made for just this purpose - to get the campsite votes in! I may have to look into it
 EeeByGum 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

> 1- North Lees - Handy for Stanage, bit of a hike to Hathersage if going to the pub.
> 2- Coopers @ Edale - handy for the pub, 15 min drive at least from Stanage but perfect for Kinder grit? Campsite can get rowdy.
> 3- Eric Bynes - handy for Birchen <walking distance> and the Robin hood pub but a bit out of the way from shops etc. Site is basic.
> 4- The one Blue Straggler has suggested, I've never been so can't comment.
> 5- Any other one you know of.

You have forgotten Birchover campsite. It is big, tolerates large noisy groups and is right next to a pub. And all climbing isn't too far away.
In reply to blanchie14c: Put me down as a possible for now. I'd love to, but there are a number of things demanding weekend attention. I shan't be climbing but can produce a doctor's note if required...

T.
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to EeeByGum: Aye, just mentioned that one a little higher up. I think it'd better suited for a large group as you say
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> (In reply to blanchie14c) Put me down as a possible for now. I'd love to, but there are a number of things demanding weekend attention. I shan't be climbing but can produce a doctor's note if required...
>
> T.

Great stuff. No pressure until its time for us all to book the campsite and even then folks can still enjoy a day trip(s) or sort their own campsite
 gribble 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Sounds a good plan. I'll come along as a daytripper, and I'll most likely be armed with my 5 year old. She should be ready to onsight FBD by now.
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to gribble:
GO GIRL! onsighting VS at just 5 years old
 Conf#2 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Just thought - I'm not going to have any transport with me (baggage allowance isn't what it used to be).

If there needs to be drives to climbing from the campsite will anyone have extra?

Kind regards thanks cheers.
 Šljiva 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: I'd be interested too for the weekend
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
> If there needs to be drives to climbing from the campsite will anyone have extra?

What is it you are asking here? It don't make any sense to me! Where the hell are you anyway? I thought you were in shefield or somesuch??
what ya after, gear or car space to the crags? Either shouldn't be a problem
 Conf#2 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Haha, I've just read what I wrote. I must have been half asleep. Car space if possible!

I am in Sweeeden.
OP wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to confusicating: From the camp to the crag? Absolutlely, wont be a problem at all, will be space for you in mine and no doubt loads of other cars too. How you getting to the camp? Train from sheff? FB me when you know for deff and we'll sort your transport
 PontiusPirate 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

At the very least I'm up for a day trip - I'll keep an eye on final details.

PP.
 Wendy14 15 Apr 2013
Sounds great. May also just be a daytripper as live local but i do want to try out my new van conversion. Keep us informed. Thanks
 waterbaby 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

As I said on FB, i'm interested. Not sure if I'll stay yet, don't own small tent just gaint sized tent! Might stay in comfy B&B or bunk. Better check I can come first.
Should be fun
Removed User 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

shall pop along, I live locally so won't need to camp. should be fun.
 James Smith 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: i could well be game for this. does anyone happen to be driving from bristol area that i could nick a lift with?
 razzorbuzz 17 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: Sounds Epic. Could be great fun to actual meet some UKC's What's the URL for the FB group

Dom
OP wilkie14c 17 Apr 2013
In reply to razzorbuzz: If you can PM me you user name, real name and email addy I'll add you to the group email for the meet. I'll get the first news update out this weekend and campsite details, FB page details etc
At work at the moment and i can't get on FB as its blocked here boo!
 alooker 17 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: great idea, I'll PM you details if you wouldn't mind keeping me in the loop too!
Jamming Dodger 17 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: Anybody driving over from Manchester?
 staceyjg 17 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I would love to come along, but I will probably arrange day tripping with Ava Adore......... if she'll let me!
OP wilkie14c 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Jamming Dodger: I'll be virtually going through Manc so could pick up if ness. I'll be early Fri morn until Mon eve though. I'm collecting a lot of emails and will mail out a 'news letter' over the weekend, You can all send your own block emails to the group if you want and arrange lifts, gear etc. I know its a while away yet but we need to get a grip on the campsite thing and get it booked so that'll take priority in the first new letter but we'll leave nobody behind and try and team everyone up with wheels come the weekend :-D
Jamming Dodger 17 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: Ok will wait for the emails and see whats on offer. Fri to Mon is stretching it a bit for me. May just drive...
OP wilkie14c 17 Apr 2013
In reply to staceyjg: Of course, day trip or whole weekend, no problem!

alooker - got your deets, cheers, you'll be added to the email group
OP wilkie14c 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Jamming Dodger:
Don't appear to have your email addy on the list dodger, PM me when you get a minute pls!
 Ava Adore 17 Apr 2013
In reply to staceyjg:
>
> I would love to come along, but I will probably arrange day tripping with Ava Adore......... if she'll let me!

Fcuk off
OP wilkie14c 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: Oi, no girly cat fights until the meet ok?
 cat88 18 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: PM'd
OP wilkie14c 21 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
Just to bump this back to the top....

The first meet newsletter has just gone out asking all to choose a campsite. If anyones wants to join in the fun please PM me your email addy, user name and real name. I'll add you to the email group.

Cheers
OP wilkie14c 25 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
Bump.
If anyone on the group email hasn't voted for the campsite yet, please do so as the survey comes down tomorrow at midnight!
 Ava Adore 26 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Is "Spain" an option?
 Conf#2 26 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Can there be a 'The Voice' type voting in which we're all blindfolded and the campsite owner sings at is about their campsite then we have to chose?
OP wilkie14c 27 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
>
> Is "Spain" an option?

If only Ava, if only
OP wilkie14c 27 Apr 2013
Thats quite a good idea!!

Well 66% of the vote has gone to Hardhurst Farm in Hope. I'll give them a bell tomorrow and find out costs and booking etc.

Not too late to join in if anyone has missed the original post, please PM me your email, UKC user name and real name and I'll add you to the group mailing list.
OP wilkie14c 01 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
Newsletter 3 has just gone out. Please PM me if you'd like adding!

Hello everyone

Hardhurst farm were pretty hard to get hold of so this is a few days late but we are sorted now. I've spoken to the site and they have provisionally booked us space for 10 to 15 tents. In a month or so when everyone knows for definite that they are going, I'll collect final numbers and confirm the booking with the site. I imagine there will still be lee-way so extra nights, number changes etc will be okay. I've also confirmed that dogs are welcome on the site which they are and campervans are welcome too. You'll need to book an electric hook up nearer the time though if you want one. Camping prices are simply £5 per person per night, a little more for a van I'd have thought (sorry I forgot to ask about van prices!)
I've booked good weather with sunshine and a slight westerly breeze and I'm waiting on an email from the environment agency - I've asked them to delay the annual midge release until mid July so fingers crossed....
 Sam_in_Leeds 05 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I'm probably banned (it's been 6 years and sufficently rehabilitated) but may potter along for the day.

Always nice to put UKC names to faces etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...