UKC

ski touring conditions over the cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
the optimist 30 Apr 2013
anyone been over the back of the cairngorms recently?
looking at doing a ski tour with my lad over may BH weekend hopefully heading over cairngorm to the fords of Dee refuge
couple of nights there and probably up onto Bynack moore the next day
anyone know what the snow cover is like ? would there be much carrying?
alternatively we might head to the Hutchinson hut via Ben Macdui
many thanks for any info
 Mike-W-99 30 Apr 2013
In reply to the optimist:
I put a few pictures up on winterhighland last nigt showing souther cairngorms cover.

Hope it helps.

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,154319,page=6
 Aly 30 Apr 2013
In reply to the optimist: Not quite where you're heading but I was up Lochnagar on Saturday and whilst there's good cover on the plateau it is pretty patchy lower down. Could *just* about ski down to about 700/750m but needed to be above 900 for any kind of decent cover. Where there was snow the depth is good. I suspect you might struggle to ski down to the Hutchison Hut, and you'd certainly be walking in/out from there if you were approaching from Linn of Dee. Get up on the plateau though and you can go a long way.

There's some photos here if you're interested:
http://tinyurl.com/cjqqwvd
 Aly 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Aly: The pistes back to the road are still compete at Glenshee so skinning up onto the plateau there could be an option for a good day tour which avoids a walk-in.
macinboots 30 Apr 2013
Cairngorm summit to Loch Avon down the side of Stac an Fharaidh was good on Sunday although the snow was heavy at the bottom. Bynack More didnt seem that well covered from what i could see.
Saturday, Ben Macdui, Cairn Toul and Braeriach all good cover with ice at the tops through to heavy snow low down with everything in between ( what do you expect its the end of April). Couple of avalanches went off in the afternoon on Saturday.

hope that helps

p.s I would be back up there if i didnt have commitments
 Ron Walker 30 Apr 2013

A few photo from today and from Saturday looking across to Bynack Mor from the back of Cairngorm and also down to Loch Avon.
See https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.313456935421527.54844.12431016100...

Cheers Ron
 Al Todd 01 May 2013
 rif 01 May 2013
I meandered to Macdui and back yesterday. As others have said, Bynack Mor doesn't look promising and most of the plateau is icy in the morning. But I found lovely packed powder in Garbh Uisge Mor, which suggests the descent off Macdui to Loch Etchachan would also be good. Mind you, that's still only a few hours from the Coire Cas car park so could easily be done in a day trip.
 markharro 02 May 2013
In reply to the optimist: I did the 4 gorms munros tour on Tuesday and it was excellent with a descent off McDui to practically the full way to the LG. Horrendous slog though straight up the face of Cairn Toul in sun softened snow then cruise round to Braeriach and final superb run right down Coire Gorm. Descent initially off McDui was icy though and quite intimidating until off the worst of the steepness.
 daftdazza 07 May 2013
In reply to markharro: Anyone know off current conditions? is a ski up lurcher over to Ben Macdui/derry cairngorm still possible?
 DaveHK 07 May 2013
In reply to daftdazza:

No specifics but its been proper warm for a few days.
 Mike-W-99 07 May 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
Lurchers still looks doable but I've not been up on the plateau.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...