UKC

Midi Bridge Rappel Alternatives & Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Forshaw 01 May 2013
Last time I was in Chamonix a few weeks ago there was some work going and after trying to abseil off the bridge from the usual abseil point we were told it was currently prohibited and asked to pull our ropes up, which we complied with.

I was wondering if anybody knew if it was possible to abseil down the line of the 'shit route' that tops out on the north side of the Cosmiques viewing platform? Any comments on the route would also be appreciated.

Secondly, I know it is possible to descend the Cosmiques as seen here: http://www.tvmountain.com/video/alpinisme/9730-aiguille-du-midi-goulotte-tr...

Does anybody know if the Profit Perroux or the Vent du Dragon are equipped for abseil from the ridge, and if so whereabouts to find them? I know the Burnier Vogler is equipped but to get to the top of this would require climbing back up the abseils on the Cosmiques Ridge?
 LucaC 02 May 2013
In reply to MJF: If you went for the Burnier Vogler rap point, it would be much easier to descend from the midi and approach by climbing the initial slope of the cosmiques ridge then trying to reverse from the midi viewing platform. No idea about the others I'm afraid.
 dutybooty 02 May 2013
In reply to MJF: Completely unhelpful, I'm just still a bit alpine inexperienced. Why would you ab off the bridge?
 LucaC 02 May 2013
In reply to MJF: Takes you straight down to the couloir where many routes start. Ab down, climb back up. Fairly committing way of doing things since you have to get up a route to get out, but saves on doing a dull walk off.
OP Matt Forshaw 02 May 2013
In reply to LJC: I've done the walk round to the Vogler raps a few times, was ideally looking for a speedier way when the bridge is out of action. Guess I will just have to go for an explore.
 LucaC 02 May 2013
In reply to MJF: Are you out there at the moment? Do report back about, it would be good to know.
 adie84 02 May 2013
In reply to MJF: The top out for the Profit Perroux is about half way along the ridge, below the crux of the Cosmiques, so if you came in from the top you would have to reverse all the hardest sections of climbing on the ridge.

I would ab off the viewing platform, down the route that colin haley climbed in that video a while back. Not sure whether its equipped though. Two abs would you get you to the gully I reckon. Or just wait until you can get of the bridge, there are plenty of other routes to go at.

Cheers

Rob
OP Matt Forshaw 04 May 2013
In reply to adie84: Anybody know if the Perroux Profit has equipped belays?
 Jon Bracey 04 May 2013
In reply to MJF: You can abseil down what you refer to as the 'shit route'- first abseil from the railings just below the viewing platform at the top of the cosmiques arete. 3 abseils before joining up with the normal anchors in the Cunningham couloir.

hope that helps, Jon Bracey

Jon Bracey 04 May 2013
In reply to MJF: Most belays on the Profit/Perroux are insitu old climbing rope slings around spikes, but most need backing up.

OP Matt Forshaw 04 May 2013
In reply to Jon Bracey: Cheers Jon, that's fantastic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...