UKC

Climbing / Expedition first aid course

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Dave Lucas 29 May 2013
premier post photo
I have joined forces with the Expedition Care Program and we are launching a new first aid course. This course has been specifically designed for climbers and it is teaching first aid to a much more advanced level then many other courses on the market.

This course suits all types of climbers, whether they are going deep-water soloing, cragging on the weekends, travelling to climb in remote far-flung destinations of the world, or climbing to the highest peaks of the world’s greater ranges.

In short this course is all about knowing how to recognize and treat some life threatening conditions typically found in climbing accidents. To put it even more simply, if you spend a couple of days and £180 learning these skills you could help save a friends’ life.

Topics that can be included are:
Fluid administration
Treatment of catastrophic bleeds
Deep-water rescue techniques
Advanced airway management
Treatment of high altitude associated conditions
Primary and secondary head injuries

Click on the following link to read more and see course dates or if you want to join as a group and chose your own dates you can contact me directly.

http://expeditionconsultancy.com/wp/2013/03/climbing-expedition-first-aid-c...

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Many thanks,

Dave
Likes to Fly 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Dave Lucas:

Sounds interesting, but in reality, are people going to be carrying bags of fluid and ET tubes when they go climbing, or would you be better off teaching them to stabilise the casualty prior to evacuation, either by MRT or SAR Helicopter?
Can't see many people maintaining the cannulation or intubation skills they've learnt, to such a level that they could confidently tube somebody on the side of a hill having not practiced since they saw it on the course..

I firmly believe First Aid training is essential for anybody out on the hill, especially more relevant things like head injury, big bleeds and big breaks (ie femurs), spinal and pelvic fractures, but would tailor it to the stuff people are likely to be confident and competent at, bearing in mind the kit they're likely to be carrying.

OP Dave Lucas 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Likes to Fly:

Many thanks for your interest. You are right that climbers in general will not be carrying fluids. That part of the course is aimed at climbers going on expeditions where medical help is hours away. Then having fluids and the skills to use them may well save someone's life. Again I agree with you with regards to skill fade. The course teaches I.O. Fluid admin using the B.I.G. This is easier to place with less possible complications then I.V. Fluid admin.

Other modules taught on the course can be relavet to all climbers no matter were the climb. One module which is very important for climbers who DWS is learning deep water rescue casualties with spinal complications

I am also developing an "On the wall" trauma kit that will be light and compact enough to encourage climbers to take it with them. Which will then arm them with the tools they need to utilise a lot of the skills they will learn on this course.

Please contact me if you have any further questions

Regards

Dave Lucas

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...