UKC

What if you don't know what to do in the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul38uk 14 Jun 2013
I want to go the the alps next summer, I have been before for a couple of weeks and i've also been to Ecuador doing PD style snow plods, but I think now i'd like to do something a bit more meaty, not necessarily high, not necessarily epic in length, just something that is what I am looking to get stuck into. Obviously I would need a guide as I dont' really have friends into this stuff, but do you think I can hire a guide and say for example "I want to learn a bit of mixed stuff, do some rock climbing and improve my ice technique" would you think a guide would want a client this flexible, or prefer someone who says "I want to do Mt. Blanc".

Thoughts? I just don't want to come back feeling that I wanted more!

And how do I get to find a guide with this in mind?! Looking to spend a few weeks in Scotland the next winter season with similar in mind.
 GrahamD 14 Jun 2013
In reply to paul29uk:

Why not phone a few guidews up ? I'm sure itiniaries can be matched to requirements
 SiWood 14 Jun 2013
In reply to paul29uk:

I think most guides would prefer to do the kind of things you would want in preference to another trip up Mt Blanc. In fact if you are flexible on what you want to do that will open up so many more options for taking advantage of conditions and weather.

There is a way of sending a general request to all BMG members through the BMG website.
 neilwiltshire 14 Jun 2013
In reply to paul29uk: Personally I think the better option is to join a local mountaineering club and try to get out there with them (if they are an active club).
 Pero 14 Jun 2013
In reply to paul29uk: If you've got the money, you could do all of the things you mention, but once you're into 1-2-1 guiding it gets very expensive. It's much cheaper to be one of a group plodding up Mont Blanc.

There are several companies who offer various itineraries with a 2-2-1 guiding ratio: you can sign up and they'll match you with another single. That cuts down the cost, but you don't have the same flexibility.

Doug 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Pero: think about one of the BMC's Conville courses or a course by the French UCPA
 Pyreneenemec 14 Jun 2013
In reply to paul29uk:

Sadly, guides don't come cheap, but a considerable saving can be made if there are two of you. You can also learn a great deal from an experienced 'second'. You'll be together whilst the guide is leading and it's good to have someone on hand to put right the mistakes you are making. I've climbed with a guide and another client on a few occasions and had a great time.

A couple of times, I've used the Club Alpin Chalet au Tour (Argentiere)as a base and found people there to share the cost of a guide, this might also enable you to find a partner for easier stuff, too.

OP Paul38uk 14 Jun 2013
In reply to paul29uk: Thanks for the replies. I may have to look in to putting together an email to the BMC Guides thing and see if anything comes back.

graham F 14 Jun 2013
In reply to paul29uk: Most guides would be very happy to get an enquiry like that! You'll find a form here to contact all British guides:
http://bmg.org.uk/index.php/eng/Hire-a-Guide

Or you can find guides on UKC and e-mail direct to discuss ideas.

tlbno1 16 Jun 2013
Hi

i can highly recommend Mike from

http://www.abacusmountaineering.com/currentconditions.html

been of a few things with him including a week in Chamonix

Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...