UKC

Ropes for multi-pitch sport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JAnders48 16 Jun 2013
I'm going to Ailefroide sport climbing in a few weeks and I'm not sure what rope/s to take. The guidebooks are useless about this and tell you nothing about pitch/abseil lengths. My preference would be to take my 70 metre single rope but this could be a problem on the abseils.

Can anyone on here, who has been to Ailefroide, help me out.

James
 iskra2000 16 Jun 2013
In reply to JAnders48: I have climbed a couple of multi-pitch routes there, 7 pitches if II remember. Used 2x50m 9mm ropes with no problems, just keep a good lookout for the abseil belay bolts. Have a good trip, lots of routes in the region.
JAnders48 17 Jun 2013
In reply to JAnders48: Any more?
 Pero 17 Jun 2013
In reply to JAnders48: If you're going to do the big routes round Ailefroide, you'll really need two ropes for abseiling. Some routes are set up for 30m abs, but often you'll need 2 x 50m.

The guidebooks we were using showed the abseil abseil points and generally they were 30-40m apart. I remember the Orage d'Etoiles, for example, had long abs.
JAnders48 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Pero: Which guide books do you have that show this? I've got 3 guides to the area and none of them give even a hint.
JAnders48 17 Jun 2013
In reply to JAnders48: I tell a lie. After some reading I have noticed that one of the guides show abseil details for some routes and they are 45 metres which suggests that twins are the best option.
 iskra2000 17 Jun 2013
In reply to JAnders48: Hi, Checked my guidebook "Escalades a Ailefroide" Paillasson/Cambon June 1998. Most abseils are 45 between bolts. E.g. Descent Six rappels 45m. Secteur de Palavar. Of course newer routes may expect longer ropes.
JAnders48 17 Jun 2013
In reply to iskra2000: Yes I have that guide. Only a few routes show the abseil lengths. One route says 50 metres so it looks like twins are the way to go. Thanks.
 Sheffield Sam 17 Jun 2013
I've got a slightly newer guide to Ailefroide, from 2010 I think, a fair few of the photo topo's suggest ab's of 48m so you'll be wanting twin 50's.

When I was there the year before last I had 60m doubles which allowed me to skip the odd ab but I don't think there was any situation where I thought I'd have been screwed with 50's rather than 50's.

The varying guide books to Ailefroide are readily available in the tourist office and climbing shops in the village.

Enjoy your trip, I cant wait to get back there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...