UKC

Remote PC Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Don'tTellHim Pike 23 Jun 2013
I believe there are programmes available by which you can access a pc from elsewhere.

My brother has a pc but is not ver computer literate and he lives about fifty miles from me. I'm just wondering if it's possible to set up the remote access and for me to give him som tuition; if so what would I need to do?

Any advice appreciated.
 beardy mike 23 Jun 2013
In reply to GrumpySod: i use team viewer. You install it on both pc's then all you need is for him to start a remote control session and give you his password for that session and you're in... Its free for private users.
 Rob Exile Ward 23 Jun 2013
In reply to GrumpySod: Teamviewer from Teamviewercom. Free for non-commercial use, and excellent.
Don'tTellHim Pike 23 Jun 2013
In reply to mike kann & Rob Exile Ward: Thanks, I'll give it a try
 Thrudge 23 Jun 2013
In reply to mike kann:
Teamviewer is fine on XP, but broken on Windows 7 - it sort of works, but it's laggy as hell and you get video corruption.
 beardy mike 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor: funny, I don't find that at all. So what do YOU recommend then?
In reply to Tony Naylor: Er ... not on mine.

In fact I've just tested it, from my Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 7 server and it's good.
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Mr Kann, are you looking over my shoulder?
 MtnGeekUK 23 Jun 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

LogMeIn free is ideal - "controller" can open from any PC through a web browser and the client has the software installed.

Cross platform, so Win XP / 7 / 8 can control Linux / Mac OSX etc. and visa versa.

Commercial version does other funky stuff, but for what you want, free is ideal.

I have exactly the same issue as you with friends / family etc and use it all the time.
 Thrudge 23 Jun 2013
In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to Tony Naylor) funny, I don't find that at all. So what do YOU recommend then?

Steady on old chap, no need to be rude. I recently dealt with a company who had the issues I mentioned, and I tried it at home and had the same issues, hence my comment. Perhaps an update has fixed things since I last tried it?

I don't recommend anything at the moment, as I've spent very little time looking for alternatives, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

The Lemming 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor:
> (In reply to mike kann)
> Teamviewer is fine on XP, but broken on Windows 7 -

Team Viewer works perfectly fine on all my Window's 7 computers. I have even had it work fine with XP and Google Android Jelly Bean.

I have used my Jelly Bean Tablet to control one of my Window's 7 computers fine and dandy.

In my humble opinion this is the best free remote access tool out there where there is no need for faff or professional IT skills to make it work.
 fire_munki 23 Jun 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:
Logmein is a bit slower I find over teamviewer.
So I'd suggest Teamviwer but they are pretty much the same. If you know you'll always be at the same PC stick with teamviewer, if you're going to want to access his computer at work, home or anywhere else use logmein.
 The Lemming 23 Jun 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

The worst thing that I have tried to grapple with is Windows own offering of Remote Viewer. I've had many frustrating hours trying to get this to work as well as trying to talk the other person over the phone to make it work at their end.
 Dominion 23 Jun 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

> I believe there are programmes available by which you can access a pc from elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

I've mostly used RealVNC or UltraVNC on the server end - ie the remote computer (usually Windows) - and a vncviewer in linux at my end. Obviously both RVNC and UVNC have windows clients as well...
 Tyler 23 Jun 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

If its just for doing support there's also remote assist which comes as part of Windows OS
 beardy mike 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor: wasn't being rude, was interested to know what you would recomend instead as you seemed to have some knowledge on the subject...
 Thrudge 23 Jun 2013
In reply to mike kann:
Apologies for misconstruing you, the caps made it look shouty. I'm afraid I've got very little knowledge about remote access clients. Some good sounding tips on here, though, and it sounds like I need to give Teamviewer another go. I liked it under XP, so it would be good to go back to it. I'm curious as to why it would screw up for me under two very different Win7 builds. Some digging is required, I think.
 bill strachan 23 Jun 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:
www.gotomypc.co.uk/remote_access/remote_access

Bill
 Brass Nipples 23 Jun 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

If you have windows 7 why not just use windows Remote Desktop which came with it. He can send you an email with a link in it plus ring you with a code that remote desktop generates, then you can log on remotely.
 Jack B 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:

Remote Desktop normally blanks the local screen, so not that useful if you want him to watch and learn. Remote assistance does not as far as I know, though I've not used it much.

Since Remote assistance is built into windows (Vista and 7 at least, not sure on XP or 8) I would start there and only download one of these other programs if it doesn't do what you want.
 Tyler 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Jack B:

With remote desktop you'd also need a non-NATed static IP address on the computer you want to connect to

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...