UKC

India / Nepal Jet boil or Multi fuel stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alreet,
I'm about to disappear to India & Nepal for 5 months on a climbing binge. In short can't decide upon the jet boil or multi fuel stove; Opinions?
My mate that will join me for a while will bring a multi fuel, during that time it would be good to also have the jet boil for when climbing. However the multi-fuel has the advantages of cheap fuel, and functions better at altitude / cold.
-My main question; how available and expensive are fuel canisters in India / Nepal?
Cheers x
 jazzyjackson 18 Jul 2013
In reply to James Monypenny:
I would expect you will have a mayer in India trying to find suitable, reliable gas for the jet.
Multifuel is the way, just not worth the risk.
Where u headed?
 Andy Nisbet 18 Jul 2013

Just been to India. Our agent in Delhi bought gas for us, and it wasn't too expensive, slightly more than UK. Jetboil or similar is so efficient at melting snow that I would always go for that nowadays.
 Damo 19 Jul 2013

I've used both, each has their advantages. Best is a fuel stove that also has the fitting to accept canisters (eg. Primus Multifuel etc). Last time I did this I ended up using the canisters more than the fuel, it's just easier, cleaner.

I know burning petrol is dearly loved here on UKC but fuel stoves burn best with white gas and that's hard/impossible to get in the 3rd world. Kerosene is possible but is often dirty so you have unreliable and messy use.

Canisters are everywhere in Kathmandu, easy to get. Not been to India. Jeboils are easy to use at altitude, simple and light. Just keep the canister warm and take a lighter or matches as the Piezo usually dies above 5000m.
Sweet, so can get canisters in Kat, cheers.
Anyone been to Leh (Also Manali?) recently and know how available / expensive canisters are?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...