UKC

Climbing rope with coms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bensyer 01 Sep 2013
hello, I was wondering if some one can help me here, I have some rope that is unused... well it looks unused to me anyway i have two bin fulls of the stuff prob one piece of rope each, I have not taken it out, been in my dads shed stored for year it has communication gear with it looks like you actually plug the coms into the rope, its got head sets and all sorts with it .. the only makers mark i can see is "Davies industrial communications ltd" the rope is red in colour cant find any info on it.. I have no use for it so would intend to sell but I dont no how to list it ..

thanks for any help

Ben
In reply to bensyer: Eh? you mean it's a cable?
 stewieatb 01 Sep 2013
In reply to bensyer:

I have a vague memory of something like this being mentioned before on here, usually in discussions about communicating with your partner on winter/mountain/sea cliff routes. Do you have any photos?

Unfortunately I think the rope itself will be too old to safely use now.
 DaveHK 01 Sep 2013
In reply to bensyer:

Something like this was mentioned many years ago in an article in High Magazine. The article was titled something along the lines of '10 Stupidest Bits of Climbing Kit.'

The conclusion was that it looked like a good idea until you fell off and the rope stretched but the comms cable did not.
 Jimbob11 01 Sep 2013
In reply to EddInaBox: Well you learn something new everyday.
bensyer 01 Sep 2013
thanks stew dave and end,

I do have pics but im on my phone so dont no how id get them on here

defiantly not 60's 70's.. id expect they are late 80's??

im sure i seen a post in reply to me about a safety coms line? but its gone now,, yes it like that could well be a safety line than a climbing rope, looks great quality.. it has almost what looks like a base station that you would not carry but leave at the bottom,, very odd cant find any info apart from one on here that im sure someone posted rescom communication safety rope, could be this but a different make as mentioned in my orig post
bensyer 01 Sep 2013
In reply to bensyer: edd not end***
bensyer 01 Sep 2013
bensyer 01 Sep 2013
In reply to bensyer:

two 1 length ropes, one is longer, about half dozen headsets wich have a throat mike padded head set and small amps, and one base station if that helps any?
rackandruin 01 Sep 2013
http://www.rescom.ca/communication%20rope.html
Not a climbing rope though and if yours are from the 80s probably a bit dicey ???
Also check out No4 in FAQs (cant copy it sorry)
Party Boy 01 Sep 2013
In reply to bensyer: A quick google of the company (Davies Industrial Communications), shows that they used to make stuff for army, police, special forces etc. They seem to have shut down in 2011
bensyer 01 Sep 2013
In reply to Party Boy: thanks everyone
 stuart58 02 Sep 2013
In reply to bensyer: many years ago in the early 80's tomorrows world had an article on climbing ropes with a communication system. Each climber had a mix in their helmet etc obviously never caught on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...