UKC

Angentiere Glacier. Ice climbing in Sept?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Parsons 03 Sep 2013
We're heading out to the Chamonix area at the end of Sept and was hoping to get a bit of ice climbing in. Is there anything around, especially the agentiere glacer? La Crémerie looks good online but can't find out anything about conditions at this time of year. Need something basic as novice climbers on ice. Any advice gratefully received.
 liz j 03 Sep 2013
In reply to Chris Parsons:
La Cremerie only forms in the depths of winter. Your best bet is to go upto the Mer de Glace and practice on the sides of the crevasses, there are plenty that are safe with filled in bottoms! There are all sorts of angles from vertical to an easy slope.
 Slarti B 04 Sep 2013
In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to Chris Parsons)
> Your best bet is to go upto the Mer de Glace and practice on the sides of the crevasses.

The ice-fall.com guys run long weekends in September ice climbing on the Mer de Glace. Crevasses and Moulins. There are some nice pictures of what you can do on their web site http://www.ice-fall.com/rc/Chamonix/Mer/de/Glace/519.aspx
 JimboWizbo 04 Sep 2013
In reply to Chris Parsons: I reckon the normal route on Argentiere will be pretty icy by September!
OP Chris Parsons 05 Sep 2013
In reply to JimboWizbo: what is the 'normal' route?
 JimboWizbo 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Chris Parsons: Milieu glacier. It's a PD snow slope as far as I'm aware. But it gets icy and serious as the season gets late.

I suggested it more in jest, I guess you're looking for ice climbs, not out of condition snow slopes!
OP Chris Parsons 06 Sep 2013
In reply to JimboWizbo: Thanks! We're up for anything to get a bit more experience really. Will have a look at access as the Grand Montets lift stops on 8th Sept.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...