UKC

Walsh v Mudclaw 300s v Fellraisers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Any opinions on the above? Has anyone switched between? Most interested in Walshes (the black and yellow 'Xtreme' ones probably) as I like the idea of being able to resole them, they don't cost a bomb and they're hand made in the UK. Have x talon 212's at the moment which are OK but don't get on with them that well as they're a little thin in the sole for my clumsy running style and I hate the lack of sewn in tongue. Don't care what they're like on the roads as I'll never use them there!

I know this should be in the Gear forum but it's only runners who'll know...
 Banned User 77 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Days on Rock: Gone from Walshes > 300's.. never touched Fellraisers.

I prefer the 300's.. the soles last longer, walshes are great when new but in North wales the rock but down their studs too fast.

I also find that the wide walshes are a bit boaty and the narrow ones too narrow but the 300s fit perfectly. I love them as a general fell shoe. Hopefully inov8 will leave them as is.

The black and yellow are supposedly tougher than the blues but I can't say I found a huge difference, the soles still wore fast. the upper was never an issue, maybe in the more acidic peaty areas it is.

I never resoled them, it was an option but it was still pretty pricey, 30? and I could normally pick up new ones for 50-60 ish and normally had various vouchers to use. Also Walsh laces don't last well.. snapped many just before races.. always a right pain in the arse.
 Marek 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Days on Rock:
Used to swear by Walsh PB's many years ago, but a recent pair were a disappointment. More useless foam padding, removable insole and a slippery inside finish mean that they just don't 'glue' themselves to your foot the way they use to. Perhaps more comfortable when dry (so what?), but foot moves around inside. Not good. I also found the heel cup to be the worng shape - it was stiff and a bit too 'open' - i.e., tended to get heel lift. Now moving to using Inov-8, but I haven't tried the Mudclaw.
In reply to IainRUK: cheers Iain-so Mudclaws are in between the wide and narrow walshes then, fit wise?

Marek-i know what you mean. I had some of the Walsh spirit peak shoes and the insole kept sliding up out of the heel. Right pain in the arse! Was hoping the proper fell shoes didn't suffrr the same problems.
 Marek 17 Sep 2013
Oh, and offspring's walsh spirits lasted about two long runs before the soles (both) parted company with the uppers. Curiously, I still have some fondness for them (years of shared pain), but rarely use them now.
 Banned User 77 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Days on Rock: I think so, I've had no fit issues with the 300s and normally do with inov8s.. apart from the 190's
andymac 17 Sep 2013

Inov8s are very comfortable.
Fit my foot like a glove.

Mine are Oroc 340's which I got half price.result.

Looked at PB racers yesterday.didnt realise they were almost suede.
In reply to andymac: I had a pair of mudroc's which were great, but x-talons just aren't enough shoe for me. Can't really justify a pair for racing alone, so will have to try and get an all-in-oner. Will try fellraisers as well, loads of hype about and universally good reviews but mudclaws look like a good bet.
sbrt 20 Sep 2013
I like mudclaw300s and Walsh PB trainers. The biggest difference I find is that;
Walshes Are lower, firmer, cheeper and stiffer. The heals are a little baggy too.

Mudclaws sit a little higher, have bigger studs, are more flexible and a little bouncier. Wider at the forefoot and narrower at the heal

Both are v grippy and a joy to wear out on the fells
 digby 20 Sep 2013

I find the Walsh PB Elites (the original shoe) mould to your feet once you get going, even though they feel a bit short when you try them on. Whether this would happen with the black and yellow ones I don't know. They are supposed to have tougher uppers. I find them light and fast, and cheap. Once the studs wear down you certainly feel the ground. Hit sticky mud and you are likely to come out of the heels but on my feet they fit like gloves.
The 300s feel like wearing a pair of canoes but they are sturdy and the studs are hefty enough to not worry about wearing them out on gravel tracks. There's no danger of coming out of the heels. They are not that light and cost a lot. The XTalon 190s are very light and have amazing grip but I don't suppose the studs will last long. Same for the 212s.
Never heard of Fellraisers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...