UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Morocco Rock Guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 10 Oct 2013
Morocco Rock, 5 kb

Morocco Rock is the ‘must have’ and much acclaimed definitive guidebook and a vital tool for any trad climbing trip to Morocco. It has been nominated category finalist at the prestigious Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival Award

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5861
 Yorkiebar 10 Oct 2013
Its a nice book, although I found the coverage of easier routes (below E1) a little vague and we had some trouble with some of the maps, which had crags marked in the wrong place (we got lost lots) Still an awesome place for a climbing trip though. We also just bought the newer one, which looks like it covers everything in this guide and much more - cant wait to get out there again!
 JJL 10 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
> Morocco Rock is the ‘must have’ and much acclaimed definitive guidebook
>
> Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5861

And even more, including some views on how it came to be "definitive", at

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=522853
 Emma Alsford 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Yorkiebar: "coverage of easier routes (below E1) a little vague" and "trouble with some of the maps" Can you be a little more specific please - as these comments (and the conveniently added "plug" which you make after them..) seem to be another obvious slur from the competition, which I am getting awfully fed up with on these forums - The routes were very well researched (with much interaction and email exchanges with first ascentionists - far more than was ever done with other guides I could mention) and there is far more detail on routes generally, compared with either of the two previous guides, not just a focus and concentration on the routes that we have done either!! As for the maps - these were done by an extremely experienced graphic designer who has been producing maps for guidebooks since before most users of ukc were born, in conjunction with the other main author Paul, who has done more climbing out in this region of Morocco than anybody - trust me I've added up the meterage of climbing myself..and he knows the area extremely well, including visiting every single crag, not just the ones he has climbed at, so while there is always room for some errors in the production of these guidebooks, I find it most unlikely that anyone would have "trouble with some of the maps" and maybe your map reading skills should be questioned - that or your obvious loyalty to the competition. Anyway, suffice to say we are very proud to have achieved Banff Finalist with our guide, and many users of it have emailed us to say how pleased they are with their Morocco Rock guide.
 Emma Alsford 14 Oct 2013
In reply to JJL: How Morocco Rock came "to be definitive" Again, I have to say I am taken aback by another obvious attack - for your information, this guidebook came to be definitive, partly because of the huge amount of time and commitment that Ben Wintringham put into the area - in meticulously recording in detail all the routes that were being climbed on the north side (information available to all and copied by some), and partly because of the huge amount of time and effort that Paul and I made in continuing with his work. Ben had created a fantastic website and was also working towards a guidebook (pre 2006) and after his untimely death we took up the task of producing this book, which is a legacy to Ben and all his hard work and passion he felt for the area - We were also helped by many, many main activists of the area, who all played an important role in helping to make this guidebook as accurate as it could be, which of course is extremely hard for a relatively "young" area which has had a minimal amount of repeats on its routes.
 AJM 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Emma Alsford:

The plug was so subtle that until you highlighted it just now I hadn't even realised there was a bigger, newer and more wide reaching guide out!

I wouldn't personally have chosen to read any criticism of the guide as a slur from the competition. For one thing, as I've said above, in responding you've highlighted far more obviously the fact that there is a newer guide now out.

Well done on Banff. Its always looked like a nice guide when I've flicked through it in the shops.
 Emma Alsford 14 Oct 2013
In reply to AJM: unfortunately you've made it very obvious with your wording that you have! I rest my case.
 AJM 14 Oct 2013

Rest which case Emma? That highlighting its existence so obviously in your post about "the competition" and their "slurs" was a way of, well, highlighting it? That was more my case than yours!

I only found out because you told me, essentially. I highlighted it further to make sure you knew that it was your post, very much "us and them" in its attitude - "the competition" and their "slurs" and so on - was the one which led me to it.
 Yorkiebar 15 Oct 2013
> "Can you be a little more specific please. maybe your map reading skills should be questioned"
I certainly did question my map reading skills at the time! But it turned out that I needn't have and Tagadirt crag was marked in the wrong place. As was one of the others up that way that I've forgotten the name of.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...