UKC

Helmet Advice - Climbing & Skiing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jordangask 14 Jan 2014

Hi guys, i'm no guru on the specific helmet certifications when it comes to rock climbing, ice climbing or skiing but I intend to use my Grivel helmet skiing in a months time... Is there really an issue with this? When you're rock climbing you may bang your head on a rock, ice or a tree and likewise whilst skiing...

Admittedly skiing helmets should cover the back of your head more but my Grivel helmet seems to cover the back of my head just fine...

Any useful and reasonable advice would be much appreciated!
Post edited at 20:58
 climber david 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Jordangask:

Look at Michael Schumacher. I'm guessing he was wearing a proper ski helmet and still managed to give himself a severe brain injury. Would you rather take the risk for the sake of £50. Its a lot but nothing in comparison to the possible effects of not getting one

David
OP Jordangask 14 Jan 2014
In reply to climber david:

No you're right, if it turned out I was more likely to be injured from wearing my Grivel helmet skiing, I would buy a skiing helmet... Although if it transpired there wasn't much difference I wouldn't bother. I'm just not sure how to tell the technical differences between a certified skiing and climbing helmet?
 MischaHY 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Jordangask:

Buy a good quality ski specific helmet and carve hard in the confidence that the gear you are wearing is first class. There are many places to cut corners when on a budget, safety gear is not one of them.
 TobyA 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Jordangask:

The problem is that climbing helmet standards say how much protection they should offer against certain types of impacts, whilst ski helmet specs specify other types.

A ski helmet might work great as climbing helmet and/or vice versa but next to none of them have been tested under the other certification so we just don't know. I've worn my Meteor when skiing down a colouir but mainly because I had it because I had worn it climbing up earlier.

I suspect that foam climbing helmets (like the meteor) may well work much better in more skiing crashes than hybrid style helmets, because they generally offer better side impact protection, but I have no idea if it is a marginal or significant degree.
 thedatastream 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Jordangask:

Mammut have just brought out a new helmet that apparently does for both skiing and climbing

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/222000121_v_0191_5661cm/Alpine-Rider....
In reply to thedatastream:

> Mammut have just brought out a new helmet that apparently does for both skiing and climbing

Hi,

The ones below are also EN-rated for skiing and climbing:
- CAMP Pulse
- KONG Kosmos

Both with RRP around €120 including the "winter kit".

Nic
 TobyA 15 Jan 2014

Excellent - Grivel did one for a few years but I think they've stopped. It's always seen to me such an obvious thing for a "multisport helmet".
 HeMa 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Nicola Ciancaglini:

> Hi,

> The ones below are also EN-rated for skiing and climbing:

> - CAMP Pulse

> - KONG Kosmos

Also Salewa Xenon
http://www.salewa.com/product/cl+helmets/xenon-helmet-1
 MikeStuart 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Jordangask:

Not sure how relevant this info will actually be, but my snowboard helmet is the same as my kayaking helmet - its a Sweet Rambler/Wanderer - Sweet Protection use the same plastic injected molding (ABS Thermoplastic Shell) etc. to make both helmets, the only difference is that the snowboard helmet has a goggle strap and the kayaking doesn't.

I also noticed that in all mountain/alpine climbing and snowboard/skiing films I've watched - the climber/rider used a snowboard/ski helmet for their entire climb and descent rather than using a climbing helmet
 crayefish 15 Jan 2014

I'd like that helmet for mountaineering when it's very cold purely because of the ear flaps! I have to wear a thin balaclava or my head overheads massively but my ears can still get a touch nippy. I wonder how much they dull the hearing though...
 MikeStuart 15 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

If those ear flaps are anything like the ones on my Sweet Rambler for whitewater kayaking, then you should be able to hear fine!

In the Mammut alpine rider photo you can see a red patch that isn't 'furry' thats just mesh to allow sound to pass easier through the ear flaps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...