UKC

When using Report Abuse, please give us the time of the post

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We are almost always very grateful when people use Report Abuse to make us aware of problems on threads. One problem we get though is people making a comment about a reply in a thread with hundreds of replies that are incredibly difficult for us to find.

Please can you give us more information when reporting problems of threads?

- The time of a reply is very useful.
- The name of the person posting is not useful on its own, especially if they have already posted multiple times on the thread.
- The content of the post is sometimes useful but still is awkward to find since it can be quoted several times.

Thanks

Alan
Post edited at 11:54

Tony the Blade 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I'd like to report a spelling error on this thread.

The time posted was 11:53am on Friday 07/03/14 by Alan James - UKC and UKH

gratefully - grateful

*sorry, only messing
 Scomuir 07 Mar 2014

You've got the "Link to this reply" function in each post. If people right click it, and copy the link/shortcut, they could just send that to you. It uniquely identifies the post.
 Wingnut 07 Mar 2014

Incidentially, the "report abuse" button on the thread itself doesn't appear to work.
 Andy Hardy 07 Mar 2014

On a few occasions I've reported spamming on here, and I always assumed that clicking the 'report abuse' button would provide you with a link to the abusive (or spammy) post, without me having to do anything else. Will add URL / times in future
 FreshSlate 07 Mar 2014

Ah I see the problem. Never use the report button myself but on most forum I have been on the report button is next to each post, probably to make this kind of thing easier.
In reply to Scomuir:

> You've got the "Link to this reply" function in each post. If people right click it, and copy the link/shortcut, they could just send that to you. It uniquely identifies the post.

Well that is probably too much work I think but it does show that we could improve the system a bit.

Alan
In reply to Wingnut:

> Incidentially, the "report abuse" button on the thread itself doesn't appear to work.

In what way isn't it working? It appears to work fine for me.

Alan
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Ah I see the problem. Never use the report button myself but on most forum I have been on the report button is next to each post, probably to make this kind of thing easier.

Yes, that might be a way of improving it. I always thought that it rather flagged up the fact there might be abuse indicating it as more of a problem that it actually is.

However, it is probably the easiest simple solution to this.

Alan
 Becky E 07 Mar 2014

In the meantime, you could amend the instructions when you click the "report abuse" button to make it clear that you need these details.
 Scomuir 07 Mar 2014

It's no work at all for you, as it works right now, e.g.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=580702&v=1#x7699329

Or did you mean too much work for people reporting the problem?

Wingnut 10 Mar 2014

I click on it, and it goes "down" briefly but doesn't actually do anything.
In reply to Wingnut:

> I click on it, and it goes "down" briefly but doesn't actually do anything.

Ok. We can't repeat this. Could you give a bit more detail like the browser you are using please?

Thanks

Alan
 Wingnut 10 Mar 2014

IE8. Can't compare with another browser - it isn't my PC, and I don't have any control over the software build, so it's IE8 or nowt. It's only the "report abuse" link in the actual thread that doesn't do anything - if I try the link in the LHS menu, it works fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...