UKC

North Wales Climbs (Rockfax)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Malt_Loaf 28 Mar 2014
Hi All,

I have the ground up North Wales Rock guide and was wondering whether it'd be worth picking up the North Wales Climbs guide?

How conclusive is it? I've seen it covers a lot of crags but in what depth? enough to warrant getting it on top of North Wales Rock?

I like the rockfax guides in general.

Cheers
 Skyfall 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

I have both - they cover different areas to an extent. However, that's a bit of a luxury and, if you don't have the definitive guides, you might be better spending money on those instead as the ground up one is pretty good as a selective guide.
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

i just got the new rockfax one, only because my mate has the other, but I really like it to be honest. Not used it 'in anger' yet but routes match my memories of climbs.
 spidermonkey09 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

I too have Ground Up and haven't considered getting Rockfax as well as theres an awful lot of crossover. I think NWC has more 'green spot' routes than NWR but if this doesn't bother you I wouldn't bother.
OP Malt_Loaf 28 Mar 2014
In reply to spidermonkey09:

Cheers folks! I'll build up my definitve guides instead!
 MikeStuart 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

I've notched a fair few mistakes in the Rockfax guide, but the quality of topo photos is second to none. I prefer using the rockfax as a 'photo' book and then the ground up guide or the specific guides for route description as they tend to be more detailed than in rockfax
In reply to MikeStuart26:

> I've notched a fair few mistakes in the Rockfax guide,

Please let us know of these mistakes then we can correct them in future editions.

Email to alan [at] rockfax.com

Thanks

Alan
 Ffion Blethyn 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Please let us know of these mistakes then we can correct them in future editions.

> Email to alan [at] rockfax.com

> Thanks

> Alan

Without wishing to start anything that should be in 'the pub' should we be emailing you with spelling mistakes?
For example place names that sat nav isn't able to find, rather than a list of grammatical errors so beloved of the patrons of ukc.

FreshSlate 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:
To Ffion: Any mistakes I imagine, all guidebooks have something in the way of typos etc. What place did they mispell?
Post edited at 20:35
 Rampikino 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

Yes Ffion because it's the decent thing to do. Yes it's a commercial enterprise but not passing on the mistakes when given the opportunity just smacks of sour grapes.
 mattrm 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

The Ground Up guide is better. I wouldn't bother with the Rockfax one. No real need to have both of the selective guides.
 Ffion Blethyn 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Rampikino:
> Yes Ffion because it's the decent thing to do. Yes it's a commercial enterprise but not passing on the mistakes when given the opportunity just smacks of sour grapes.

No sour grapes from me! I've read some of the debates between different guidebook writers but have no wish to become embroiled.

No, I just didn't want Alan to think I was taking the piss. That's all.

I'll email tomorrow when I have the book in front of me, and to lend weight to the grape argument it's not the guide to North Wales.

Edit.
"Got any grapes?"

youtube.com/watch?v=ECmpUJdgm-g&

Post edited at 22:21

Hi Ffion

Please do send a list of places with incorrect spellings and we will take a look at them all in our app version. This would be very useful feedback.

The sort of feedback we aren't interested in receiving directly are grade votes and star rating opinions - use the databases for these.

Thanks

Alan
 Rampikino 01 Apr 2014

Fair enough Ffion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...