UKC

Traverse from Point Walker to dent du Geant/Torino Hut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete_Frost 05 Apr 2014
Anyone done the traverse of the Grands Jorasses to the Geant/Torino hut recently? If so, do you have/can you recommend a better route description than in Chris Bonnington's book? I'm interested especially in beta about the section from Point Whymper to the Canzio bivouac, and from the Canzio to the Dome du Rochefort.
lostcat 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Pete_Frost:
There's a comprehensive description with a few photo topos of the whole traverse in 'Snow,ice and mixed' vol 1 by Francois Damilano. No idea how accurate it is however as I haven't done the route. One day hopefully!
Post edited at 22:02
OP Pete_Frost 06 Apr 2014
In reply to lostcat:
Thanks! I'll have a look at that.
 Simon4 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Pete_Frost:

You are presumably aware that it is normally done in the other direction, and that the Snow, Ice and Mixed description will be in that sense, i.e. the Rochefort - Grand Jorasses traverse?
OP Pete_Frost 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Simon4:

Thanks, because it isn't the usual direction I turned to UKC. Snow Ice and Mixed is very helpful for a "wrong way" description. I want to do a big couple of days - up the Hirondelles then across the Jorasses, kip at the Canzio, up the Calotte de Rochefort (the crack may be "interesting") before heading off to the Torino for some Italian cookery. I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this.
 Tim Sparrow 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Pete_Frost:

Recently equipped (bolted) abseils from Pointe Young to the col with the bivvy I believe. There was a thread on this a while back but I can't find it!
There was some disquiet about them so they may not be there any more …..
 johnyo 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Pete_Frost:

Hi Pete,

Me and my mate did the full traverse from Pt Walker to Torino last August so if you need any more beta drop me a PM.

John
 Tim Sparrow 30 Apr 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...