UKC

What's the best months for a climbing trip to Red River Gorge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brizlgirl 20 Apr 2014
Thinking of going to Red River Gorge for a climbing trip this year. Does anyone know what the best time of year is? We like climbing in the shade in shorts and t-shirt and low humidity. That usually equates to low to mid 20degrees C. Does that sound possible? Had thought September, but then told at least October. Found some reports saying October temps around 10 degrees! Any info and recommendations gratefully received.
 1poundSOCKS 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Brizlgirl:

I was there is September and it was always really humid. Warm enough, climbing in shorts and t-shirt mostly.

1234None 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Brizlgirl:

Avoid the height of summer. Way too humid. Late September and October are fine. I have climbed there in November...fine in the sun but getting cold in the shade. Loads of Sun/shade options to suit for spring or Autumn. Enjoy...it is superb! A sport climbing destination that I wish I could visit more often...
 1poundSOCKS 21 Apr 2014
In reply to 1234None: Last 2 weeks of September in 2011 were very humid. I'm not sure if that was unusual?

OP Brizlgirl 21 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Sounding good.
 abarro81 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Brizlgirl:

Cold is good there as friction makes a big difference, I.e. days where you need full winter tactics are the best conditions. I would go late Oct and early Nov if I had the choice, but if you prefer pleasant temps to sending temps then earlier would be better
 Aigen 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Brizlgirl:

October.
 David Coley 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Brizlgirl:
Someone please say April, because I'm three days away from the Red and heading that way.
Post edited at 00:46
 monkeyboy3000 22 Apr 2014
In reply to David Coley: I was there last week and it was perfect ! So April is good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...