UKC

Anyone done PYB Discover Leading?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BarrySW19 03 May 2014
Has anyone experience of doing the Plas Y Brenin Discover Leading course? I'm considering doing it in a month or so - I've already done their BMC sponsored taster course and I've done a handful of leads already at V.Diff grade, but I'm looking for something to get my leading skills ready for tougher grades (I've seconded to HVS 5a and climb up to 6c indoors).

Any opinions/advice?
 marsbar 03 May 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

I've only been kayaking there but generally rscommend them very much. Top instructors, good cake.
 Jon Stewart 03 May 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

I did a 'learn to lead' course there years ago, so not terribly relevant, but it was excellent and taught me everything I needed to know. I went before I was really ready (I wasn't a competent second, I'd just top-roped a few routes) and they got me to where I needed to be to lead multipitch in the weekend.

I'd say though that if you've already led a couple of routes so you know how to place gear and set up a belay, that maybe there's not much point? What are you hoping to learn?
OP BarrySW19 03 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart: "What are you hoping to learn?"

Mainly good gear placement I guess - too many bits of gear falling out on the first leads.

Jon Stewart 03 May 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

> Mainly good gear placement I guess - too many bits of gear falling out on the first leads.

Course sounds like overkill to me. Lead a few more routes?

markAut 03 May 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

I did a climbing course years ago which included leading. Excellent instructors. Great for teaching the basics and not learning bad habits.

The more cost effective route is to climb with someone experienced, learn from them and ask questions.
 Kelcat 03 May 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

I think the course would cover a lot of ground you already know. Probably more use would be a 1:1 with a suitable instructor, someone like jezb1 of this parish would be good.
In reply to BarrySW19: I've done various NGB courses at PyB and I certainly can't argue against the whole experience; good location, good instruction, good accommodation, good food and a good bar.

However, I didn't have much choice with my courses; it was PyB or Glenmore Lodge. You do. Any one of several hundred Mountaineering Instructors (or Mountain Guides) throughout the UK would be more than capable of delivering a 2-day learn-to-lead course to a good standard. For example, I often deliver leading courses at Swanage.

Most climbing courses are run (and hence costed) at a 1:2 ratio. So if it is just you who want to do the course there is a distinct advantage in going to PyB, Glenmore Lodge or another larger course provider. However if you happen have a climbing partner, or there is a group of you, who want to receive similar training, it will likely be far cheaper to go directly to an individual instructor. However, you would then have to make separate arrangements for food and accommodation, which may or may not be an issue.

People regularly ask for recommendation for instructors and companies on here and a comprehensive list of professional instructors by location can be found online http://www.ami.org.uk/find-an-instructor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...