UKC

Aluminium free deodorants...any suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Having suddenly realised that every roll on I use has 3 different aluminium compounds in, that I'm applying it to the place where there are lots of arteries and lymph nodes I thought I should really stop. Breast cancer isn't a major worry for me, but Alzhemier's is. Whether I'm being over reactive about this doesn't matter, I would just like a few recommendations regarding the best Al-free options. Basically, it won't do any harm to change, and it might just make a big difference in later years...I have nothing to lose!
 DaveHK 08 May 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:
As I understand it Aluminium compounds are only found in anti-perspirants so if you buy something that is just a deodorant then it shouldn't contain them.
Post edited at 10:10
In reply to DaveHK: Yes, I think that's right...although as an occasional Sweaty Betty I use the anti perspirant option.

tlm 08 May 2014

I thought this at one point, so bought an aluminium free one, but it was just a deodorant and didn't do anything. I never finished the roll and went back to ones with aluminium in them... I'm an addict
 skog 08 May 2014

> Basically, it won't do any harm to change

Unless, of course, the ones you're switching from are actually safe, and whatever you switch to isn't...

Sorry, no suggestions!
 Toby_W 08 May 2014

Like I said to my friend who was giving up plastic bottles or some such nonsense because the internet told him to, he's more likely to die when the lorry coming to collect all his glass recycling skids on ice and crushes him to death under the glass bin.

When the mad cow scare happened I got soooo much beef, my god, my bro and I had trolleys and then freezers full and if by some miniscule freak of statistics of something that shouldn't even happen anyway we both get mad cow, hey we won't really know about it, we'll be dribbling idiots

Worry less, live more.

Cheers

Toby (I'm teasing not having a go by the way in case I've written this badly)
 Baron Weasel 08 May 2014

I had to have an abscess operated on a few years back. The surgeon who did it said it was caused by Aluminium in deodorant and was more common than people realise and potentially fatal if the poison in the abscess reaches the heart.
 Clarence 08 May 2014

Yes all the dry/antiperspirant brands have at least Aluminium Chlorohydrate in them, if not something with even more letters after Aluminium. Boots do one though

http://www.boots.com/en/Bionsen-Sensitive-Stick-Deodorant-40ml_927507/

But it isn't very good. I just use ordinary Lynx or FCUK body spray, antiperspirants turn to glue after five minutes in my pits. I have had to use scissors to get my shirt off my armpit hair after using antiperspirants before.
 Choss 08 May 2014

just wash with ordinary soap, and shave your armpits...

Bingo, no need to use anything else, and no sweat stains on your shirt.
SethChili 08 May 2014

I thought that aluminium had been ruled out as a possible cause of Alzhemier's , fairly conclusively at that .
However, any attempt to reduce the amount of chemicals , metals and other nasty things we humans stick to ourselves is probably a good idea. Good luck.
 skog 08 May 2014
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> and potentially fatal if the poison in the abscess reaches the heart.

On the plus side, the Disney adaption is quite good.
 humptydumpty 08 May 2014
In reply to broken spectre:

Nice idea! Do many men actually do this? And does hair really make you sweatier? I feel like deoderant is a bit of an arms race - if we all accepted a bit more person-smell, couldn't we all just stop using it?
 Choss 08 May 2014
In reply to humptydumpty:

> Nice idea! Do many men actually do this? And does hair really make you sweatier? I feel like deoderant is a bit of an arms race - if we all accepted a bit more person-smell, couldn't we all just stop using it?

Underarm hair, had shirts with huge Understains... shaved Pits have Minimal sweatstains.

Its a bit of a con i reckon all this deodorant lark. Havent used any for years. Girlfriends never noticed or minded. Quick Puff of Talc more than enough if really hot.
In reply to Clarence:
I just use ordinary Lynx or FCUK body spray, antiperspirants turn to glue after five minutes in my pits. I have had to use scissors to get my shirt off my armpit hair after using antiperspirants before.

That is disgusting! (but thanks for sharing...)
 humptydumpty 08 May 2014
In reply to broken spectre:

Talc's a good idea. I've heard bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice also work, but it sounds a bit fizzy to me.

I've not used deoderant the last few years, but have been living abroad where it's not so popular, and I think you're expected to smell funny as a foreigner anyway.
In reply to SethChili: YOu might be right, I don't really know about that. However, a friend of mine turns out to be one of the leading oncologists in the UK and he said that if he could tell his younger self 5 things to change, one of those would be to cease using Al-based underarm roll ons. He's the guy with the PhD, Masters and 20 years of cancer consultancy so I will take him at his word. Like someone said, the greatest danger we face every day is driving, and it's important not to be an idiot about this stuff. In this particular case I think "why not change?"

Just been to Tesco and bought some Bionsen and it smells ace! Same price as Lynx etc so that's me sorted, thanks for the advice.

crayefish 08 May 2014

I used to worry about that stuff after I spent much of my early 20's inhalling aluminium dust from cutting ally sheet with an angle grinder. I used to be covered in the stuff and never wore a face mask back then.

But then someone pointed out research which showed that long term workers in aluminium plants shows no increased chances of alzhemiers.

I wear a face mask now anyway (dust in general isn't good in your lungs) but I don't worry about being forgetful... it's happened already anyway

You are right that you have nothing to loose. But personally I wouldn't worry about it. You won't get alzhemiers due to the ally.
 Kimono 08 May 2014

As someone has mentioned above, the whole deodorant thing is a bit of a myth. Most of us don't actually need deodorant…it is only a small percentage of people who for some reason, smell bad

I live in a hot sweaty country, shower frequently and don't use deodorant. I don't smell!

However, if you insist on it, then two other options are the deodorant natural crystals or to tuba piece of cut lemon under your pits!
 Yanis Nayu 08 May 2014
In reply to Clarence:

> Yes all the dry/antiperspirant brands have at least Aluminium Chlorohydrate in them, if not something with even more letters after Aluminium. Boots do one though

> But it isn't very good. I just use ordinary Lynx or FCUK body spray, antiperspirants turn to glue after five minutes in my pits. I have had to use scissors to get my shirt off my armpit hair after using antiperspirants before.

I wouldn't write that on your Match.com profile...
In reply to Baron Weasel:

If you get a splinter and it gets infected and the "poison" spreads you could die. I'd better give up all outdoor pursuits just to be on the safe side then!!!
 Yanis Nayu 08 May 2014

I don't wear anti-perspirant for the same reason, not that I'm neurotic about it, but it just makes sense to me.
 IoanTataru 08 May 2014

Potassium Alum
 skog 08 May 2014
In reply to IoanTataru:

Whilst I think our Husky friend is barking up the wrong tree taking advice from an oncologist on Alzheimer's, I feel the need to point out that Potassium Alum is not Aluminium-free!
 Clarence 08 May 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> However, if you insist on it, then two other options are the deodorant natural crystals or to tuba piece of cut lemon under your pits!

I don't have a tuba, can I use my French Horn?
In reply to skog:

> Whilst I think our Husky friend is barking up the wrong tree taking advice from an oncologist on Alzheimer's, I feel the need to point out that Potassium Alum is not Aluminium-free!

I'm taking advice from him because he has evidence based research to back him up on the link between these aluminium based roll ons and the things he's professionally involved with. It's not necessarily to do with Alzhemier's.
 Toby_W 08 May 2014

Hi, what's his name (the oncologist)?

Cheers

Toby
 Toby_W 08 May 2014

and the links (Mrs is a consultant so would be interested in seeing the evidence, wasn't aware there was any).

Cheers

Toby
 Robert Durran 08 May 2014
In reply to SethChili:

> I thought that aluminium had been ruled out as a possible cause of Alzhemier's , fairly conclusively at that .

I have been told that by a friend who was involved in alzheimer's research. My main concern was aluminium cooking pots for camping, but I have continued using them.
 Timmd 08 May 2014
This is effective in my experience, and about as green as one can buy.

http://www.biggreensmile.com/products/green-people-organic-homme-9-stay-coo...

Is alu free...
Post edited at 13:48
 skog 08 May 2014

Ah, OK - I'd picked up the notion that you were worried about Alzheimer's, rather than cancer.

Do you know whether the cancer-link research is published? Does it relate specifically to roll-ons (rather than spray-ons)?
 blurty 08 May 2014

I've used this before: http://www.thehealthbay.com/salt-of-the-earth-natural-travel-deodorant-50-g...

It doesn't stop sweating, just prevents the niffy microbes breeding (as opposed to a deodorant/ perfume)

It works to a point, if you're not sweating much. In summer it wasn't up to the task though.
 skog 08 May 2014
In reply to blurty:

"Made purely from Ammonium alum"

Still, anything that uses the word 'natural' five times in the description must be good for you, right..?
 Kimono 08 May 2014
In reply to Clarence:

> I don't have a tuba, can I use my French Horn?

Don't be ridiculous Clarence....

....of course it has to be a tuba

<Perils of predictive text and several language options >
 Tricky Dicky 08 May 2014

I have an allergic reaction to the aluminium in deodorants so I use the Biosen roll-on (my local Tesco stocks it). Seems to work and the wife likes the smell
In reply to Toby_W: It's Rob Thomas. He works at Addenbrooks and Cambridge.

Bulldog do some nice stuff, and it doesn't smell like lavender or peaches
 Toby_W 10 May 2014

I can't find any research on this that shows a link and I don't think he's published anything on it. Sure you're not mistaken, took something out of context, you've quoted two qualifications he doesn't have, three's the charm?

I again, am not having a go but people repeat these internet hoaxes and scare stories and then you have people not vaccinating their children. If you're going to throw your friends name into a discussion like this you need to be careful what you're saying and crediting to him.

Cheers

Toby
 ayuplass 10 May 2014

I use Lush patchouli deodorant bar because it smells nice, not because I think there's a link between anti antiperspirants and cancer. I just think any attempt to prevent sweating is futile so I just aim my efforts at not reeking
 gethin_allen 11 May 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Bulldog stuff often smells nice but I've gone off it since I bought some face cream of theirs and it made my face go all tingly and numb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...