UKC

North East Buttress on the Ben - Any tips on the approach?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 27 May 2014
I have been wanting to get this route done for ages, and this weekend don't look too bad so far.

I am expecting it to be snow free, (unless anyone knows otherwise), but I am conscious there can be a faff finding the First Platform. We are climbing as a 3, and I will probably be doing all the leading, so now way will I have chance to go up Raeburns.

Any tips on getting the approach right?
 Wesley Orvis 27 May 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

still looked like quite a bit of snow high up on the north side of the Ben on the way passed yesterday.
OP JohnnyW 27 May 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

Urg. I kind of hoped the buttresses would be clear by now.....
Hmmmm
 LakesWinter 27 May 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Just go up into Coire Leis a bit and the first platform leading back R above the bottom buttress was pretty obvious even in heavy mist and snow, should be fine
drmarten 27 May 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

I walked over Aonach Beag & Mor on Saturday and the top section of NE Buttress looked okay if you wanted a snow free ascent.
 AlH 27 May 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Pics i've seen from CMD today make it clear its snow free.
Coire Leis approach as described by OP.
Its a mountain route and as such prone to loose rock and it'd be wise to be especially careful early in summer season where it won't have had many ascents yet.
 Nathan Adam 27 May 2014
In reply to AlH:

Does that mean the walk off the first platform is snow free then Al? Super keen to get on Raeburns (this weekend hopefully) but don't really want to have to carry big boots up there!
OP JohnnyW 27 May 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:
Thanks gents, much appreciated. I have had experience in the Alps and on Skye of such routes at this time of year, and will be careful.
Post edited at 21:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...